POSITION TITLE: Sous Chef
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Looking for an energetic and motivated individual who assists in the supervising, overseeing and preparing meals in a high volume, commercial kitchen serving 1500-2000 meals per day. Prepares menu as directed. Assists in the training, supervision and directing of production staff for board plan operations.
*Prepares daily menu items as directed.
*Supervising and training all food production staff which include: Cooks, Cold Cooks, General Food Service Workers and student staff.
*Trains full time and student workers on production techniques.
*Managing menu/recipe development for the Board Plan, Specials Events.
*Assists in coordinating the ordering of food, supplies and equipment.
*Assists with inventory management and control.
* Helps to ensure product is ready for production and production guides are distributed.
* Provides oversight to ensure food is produced and presented in a timely matter as well as meeting the quantities to be produced. Follows established system for serving methods and food handling techniques to ensure the highest of quality.
* Responsibilities can include assigning food production duties to kitchen production staff daily. Responsibility for working with full-time and student staff to ensure all production needs are covered, including recruiting and training student kitchen workers. Assists in determining appropriate staffing levels.
* Ensures that the prep is completed for the following day.
* Supervises and ensures that the proper sanitation and safety regulations are followed.
* Works with managers to ensure proper utilization of leftover food. Adjusts following day’s production amount as appropriate.
* Assists in reviewing daily meal counts, details and menus.
* Performs various supervisory duties.
* Performs other duties as needed.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
* Culinary degree in food preparation and three to five years relevant experience in a high volume, commercial environment. The equivalent or combination of experience and/or training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered.
* Ability to plan and lead staff training sessions, along with on the job training.
* Must have thorough knowledge of all aspects of food preparation to include vegan/vegetarian cuisines as well as service and sanitation.
* Prior supervisory experience.
* Ability to work in extreme temperatures
* Ability to lift 50+ pounds
* Ability to operate kitchen equipment properly.
* Ability to operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid driver’s license.
* Serve Safe Certification required.
Bryn Mawr College does not discriminate on the basis of Race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability in its employment practices. We are committed to building a culturally diverse environment and welcome all applicants.