The following is intended primarily for members of the Bryn Mawr College community, but will also be of interest to anyone wishing to learn more about the College, its students, faculty, staff, and alumnae/i.
How We Talk About the Undergraduate College
The messages outlined below are intended to form a shared understanding of Bryn Mawr College’s key strengths—what makes Bryn Mawr worth choosing. This language is not intended to be used verbatim; instead, these ideas should inform official publications, and these concepts can be developed by or in conjunction with Communications.
These messages can be used to, for example: inform how we prioritize stories on the homepage of the website; as a basis for tags to identify common content themes; as a set of themes to organize collections of student/alumnae/i profiles; and as guiding principles for official descriptions of the College in internal and external publications.
This is informed by research with groups of prospective students, current students, faculty, staff, and alumnae/i, and positioned in context with Bryn Mawr’s strategic direction. The language itself was developed within the context of that research and then refined by a group of faculty, staff, and students.
Promise: Bryn Mawr prepares passionate learners for lives of purposeful action.
- Intellectually inspired
- Global in perspective
- Respecting the individual
- Bryn Mawr challenges and supports exceptional students to perform at the highest academic levels. Bryn Mawr students are intellectually engaged.
- Bryn Mawr expands opportunity for women.
- Through Bryn Mawr’s innovative curricula and programs, students connect deep learning to purposeful action. Bryn Mawr students are agents of change.
- Bryn Mawr’s diverse community is bound by respect for individual choices. Bryn Mawr fosters individual strengths in a community setting.
At Bryn Mawr, diverse students share distinctive traits:
- an intense academic commitment,
- a self-directed and purposeful vision of their lives, and
- a desire to make meaningful contributions to their professions and worlds.
Today, smart, strong women come to Bryn Mawr to achieve more through:
- challenging, engaging courses and opportunities for graduate-level research;
- strong bonds with scholar-teachers, fellow students, and accomplished alumnae/i;
- innovative programs that connect deep learning with action; and
- top-tier partnerships that expand options locally and globally.
Critical, creative, and collaborative thinkers, Bryn Mawr alumnae/i are agents of change in almost every arena—and they are forever members of a tight-knit community that is founded on respect for the individual.
Simply put, Bryn Mawr prepares passionate learners for lives of purposeful action.