International Travel Insurance for Student

Supplemental International Travel Insurance for Students

The College carries a limited insurance policy that provides international travel accident coverage throughout the year for students traveling on Bryn Mawr College sponsored activities. The policy provides for emergency medical and evacuation benefits. Emergency medical arrangements must be coordinated by the insurance provider in order for services and costs to be insurable. The policy does not cover routine care and is designed to be in excess to any coverage provided by the student’s primary medical insurance policy. The benefits apply only if the student is traveling 100 miles or more away from her/his place of permanent residence. All students traveling abroad are expected to have a primary medical plan with international coverage.

The travel insurance policy does not cover events which occur during personal travel, even during the period of the sponsored activity.

When traveling on a Bryn Mawr College sponsored activity, the trip leader or administrative office responsible for trip planning will have the necessary insurance information. Graduate students traveling abroad for research or activities directly related to their academic program should notify Kari Fazio by email at

Other International Insurance Coverage

The College has the following insurance for claims which might occur while traveling on College related business. If you have any experience while traveling abroad that might involve an insurance claim, please contact Kari Fazio ( as soon as possible.

  • Auto Liability: When renting a car outside the U.S., its territories, Puerto Rico or Canada, both liability and physical damage coverage must be purchased in the local country or jurisdiction. Whether or not the purchase of car rental insurance is required by local law, vehicle rental insurance should always be purchased. The minimum limits to be purchased, equivalent in U.S. dollars, are: $10,000 each person/$20,000 each accident for Bodily Injury Liability, and $10,000 each accident for Property Damage Liability. The College’s international automobile insurance provides only for excess insurance over local coverage for an auto liability claim involving an employee, volunteer or student while traveling abroad. The coverage applies only when the local coverage is exhausted.
  • Workers Compensation, General Liability, and Property insurance are also carried to cover Bryn Mawr employees, volunteers, and students for personal injuries while working abroad or to cover loss or damage to College property abroad.

Finance Key Contacts