EXTERN PROGRAM – APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Thank you for your interest in the Extern Program. The application for the Winter Break 2020 program is available now in Handshake. The deadline to submit applications is Thursday, October 31, 2019 at 11:59pm.
Please read through the following application instructions to make sure you submit your completed application successfully. If you have any questions, please contact Patty Greenfield, Assistant Director of Career Counseling, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of Application Steps
- Browse the pdf of available alumnae/i shadowing opportunities found in the Extern job description in Handshake and choose up to six opportunities that you would like to apply to
- Complete the preference form to rank your selections (minimum of one choice, maximum of six)
- Upload your resume and essay to your Handshake account and apply to the Extern job posting by attaching those documents to your application
- Apply by Thursday, October 31 at 11:59pm
- Save the date to attend one of the required one-hour Extern Orientations to be held Monday, November 11 from 12:00-1:00pm and Tuesday, November 12 from 4:00-5:00pm
What is this program?
- As an extern, you will have the opportunity to job shadow alumnae/i in their place of work.
- Externs observe and talk with sponsors and their colleagues.
- In most cases, you will participate in the normal routines of the sponsor, following your host throughout the workday and, in some instances, working on special projects as indicated on the sponsor’s information form.
When does the program take place?
The Extern Program takes place over Winter Break and Spring Break. There are two separate application cycles for the winter and spring programs.
The information included here is for the Winter Break Extern Program. The program takes place between January 6 – 17, 2020, depending on the availability of the sponsor.
Eligibility, expenses, & more details
You are responsible for your own expenses, which include transportation, meals and housing, and for making the arrangements on your own.
Students who are matched are eligible to apply for a Career & Civic Engagement mini grant to reimburse some of the costs associated with participating. Please note, the total amount of mini grant funding you are eligible for in a given academic year is $200. More information about mini grants and the application form may be found on the College website.
- In some instances, housing may be provided by the sponsor, which is indicated on their sponsor description form. There are also some alumnae/i and parents who can provide housing only. In all other circumstances, housing will be at your expense.
Past participants have stayed with family or friends in the area or have chosen to stay in hotels. Please be sure to research pricing of travel and accommodations before selecting your choices.
- The winter break program is for sophomores, juniors and seniors. First year students will be able to apply for the spring break program.
- When you apply for your externship, you are making a commitment to participate. You may apply to as few as one and as many as six opportunities.
By indicating an opportunity on your preference form, we take that to mean you would be happy to be matched there and have considered all time and monetary costs associated with that experience.
- In order to participate in the program, all externs must attend an orientation session to be held Monday, November 11 from 12:00-1:00pm and Tuesday, November 12 from 4:00-5:00pm.
- Final approval of extern assignments is done in consultation with the Dean’s Office.
How to Apply: Detailed Steps
- Log into your Handshake account at www.brynmawr.joinhandshake.com and search Jobs for Extern to review the extern sponsor offerings to learn about specific opportunities, taking into account the timing of the externship and any qualifications specified. The extern sponsor description summaries are also linked at the beginning of the job description.
- Select between 1-6 opportunities and complete the preference form. Career & Civic Engagement Center staff attempt to match as many students as possible to one of their choices. As such, it is important to only select opportunities that you are 100% committed to attending should you be matched there. By applying to the Extern Program, you are making a commitment to participate should you be matched with one of your selections.
- Update your resume and upload it to your Handshake account.
Need help? Career Peers are available in Campus Center 202 Monday*-Friday from 2:00-5:00pm (*Monday only 2:00-4:00pm), Monday-Thursday from 7:30-9:30pm, and Sunday from 3:00-5:00pm to assist.
- Write an essay of approximately 500 words describing why you are interested in participating in the Extern Program, how the opportunities you’ve applied to connect to your professional goals, and what you hope to gain from the experience.
- Apply to the Extern job posting in Handshake by 11:59pm Thursday, October 31. You will be asked to attach your resume and essay which will be shared with your host if you are matched. A completed application also consists of the preference form linked above. Please do not wait until the last minute to apply.
Career & Civic Engagement Center staff are happy to answer questions during normal business hours of 9:00am to 5:00pm M-F but are unavailable outside of those hours. Each year, we receive many qualified applications and, as such, are unable to accept applications submitted after the deadline.
- By the end of the day Friday, November 8, you will receive an email notifying you whether you have been matched in the Extern Program.
- If you are matched, you will be required to attend an orientation on Monday, November 11 from 12:00-1:00pm and Tuesday, November 12 from 4:00-5:00pm.
- Once you have reached out to your sponsor, please contact Patty Greenfield at email@example.com to let her know that your plans are set. Additionally, please contact Patty if you experience difficulties getting in touch with your sponsor.
- Should you wish to borrow any professional attire for your externship, please stop by Career Engagement drop-in hours to shop our Career Closet.