EXTERN PROGRAM – APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Thank you for your interest in the Extern Program. The application for the Spring Break 2019 program is available now in Handshake. The deadline to submit applications is Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 11:59pm.
WHAT IS THIS PROGRAM?
We are pleased that you are interested in the Extern Program. This program enables you to explore career options by allowing a firsthand glimpse into a career field of interest. As an extern, you will have the opportunity to job shadow alumni/ae in their place of work. Externs observe and talk with sponsors and their colleagues. In most cases, you will participate in the normal routines of the sponsor, following your host throughout the workday, and in some instances, working on special projects. Most of the extern sponsors are alumni/ae; there are some parents and friends of the College who also serve as hosts.
WHEN DOES THE PROGRAM TAKE PLACE?
The Extern Program takes place over Winter Break and Spring Break. There are two separate application cycles for the winter and spring programs. The information included here is for the Extern Program Spring Break. The program takes place between March 11 – 15, 2019, depending on the availability of the sponsor.
IMPORTANT DETAILS ABOUT THE PROGRAM – ELIGIBILITY, EXPENSES, AND MORE
• You are responsible for your own expenses, which include transportation, meals and housing. In some instances, housing may be provided by the sponsor, which is indicated on their sponsor description form. Before you apply, figure out what your overall expenses will be to do the experience, with the biggest cost being transportation and housing.
• THE PROGRAM IS FOR SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS AND SENIORS. **Note: As a pilot program, first year students will be able to apply for the Spring Break program this year.
• When you apply for your externship, you are making a COMMITMENT to follow through with the externship. Think about your ability to commit to the time, duration and location of your externship choices. Explore and confirm this before you apply.
• In order to participate in the program, all externs must sign a release form, which needs to be completed at one of the required orientation to be held Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:00 or 4:00.
• Final approval of extern assignments is done in consultation with the Deans.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE EXTERN PROGRAM
1. Read through ALL the directions carefully before making an application.
2. Review the extern sponsor offerings to learn what specific opportunities in which you are interested in participating. The extern sponsor descriptions summaries are found online in Handshake. Search for the “Bi-Co Extern Program”, and click on the job “Spring Break Extern Program 19” – you will see a link in the description to the list of opportunities. Look at ALL the details completed by the sponsor. Pay special attention to:
- the timing of the externship - are you available the week(s) that the sponsor indicated?
- the section for special qualifications – has the sponsor restricted the experience by class year, school, or other qualification?
3. By applying to the Extern Program, you are making a COMMITMENT to participate in the Program. You have an opportunity to apply to up to 6 sponsors but should be thoughtful in selecting opportunities that are genuinely of interest to you. The Office will be making the matches, trying our best to give you one of your top 6 choices, but it might not be possible to provide each student with a match. Once you are assigned an externship, participation is MANDATORY. Not following through can be considered a breach of the Honor Code, and you can lose your privilege to participate in future Extern Programs.
4. Start early to work on your application. Late applications will not be accepted. Applications need to be submitted by Thursday, January 31, 2019 by 11:59 pm. Due to the high volume of applications, CPD cannot provide last minute assistance.
5. Submit up to a 500 word ESSAY and RESUME in our online system, using your account in Handshake. The essay should answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in doing an externship?
- What do you hope to gain from the experience?
- How will you make the most out of the experience?
**At the top of each page of your essay, you MUST include your name, school, year, and email. Note: If you receive an extern match, your sponsor will receive a copy of your essay and resume.
6. In some cases, interviews may be necessary for the match. You will be notified if an interview is necessary.
7. Extern matches are made in consultation with the Deans.
8. At the Extern Orientation, you need to complete two questions to finalize your application for your assigned sponsor, immediately after you receive your match. This will be sent to your sponsor along with your original application materials. This must be completed at the required Orientation.
HOW DO I LEARN ABOUT MY EXTERN MATCH AND NEXT STEPS:
By February 8, you will receive an email letting you know if you have been matched. We will do our best to try to give you one of your top 6 choices, but it might not be possible for all students to receive a match. If you do not receive a match one year, that will be taken into consideration should you choose to apply again.
You will find out about your specific match at a REQUIRED Orientation. If you receive a match, it is required that you attend one of the Orientations, where you will:
- receive the name and contact information of your extern sponsor,
- complete the final part of the application, and
- learn about important information on how to make the most of the experience and what your sponsor will expect.
You MUST attend one of the required orientations at your home school.
For Bryn Mawr Students: Monday, February 11, 2019, at 12:00 or 4:00
Please tentatively hold one of these times on your calendar now.
STEPS FOR SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
You MUST apply using these online procedures. The application process requires three steps.
1. Step One: Sign into your Handshake account and search the job postings for "Bi-Co Extern Program". Carefully read through the instructions before proceeding with the application.
2. Step Two: Complete the online form linked to in the Bi-Co Extern Program posting, which includes contact info and externship selections. You will also be prompted to select up to 6 externship choices. Selecting a site in the application is a commitment to participate in that site if matched.
3. Step Three: Uploading your Application Documents to Handshake: http://brynmawr.joinhandshake.com
By January 31, upload your essay and resume to your account in Handshake and apply to the Bi-Co Extern Program job. Please save your documents using the following nomenclature:
YOURCOLLEGEUSERNAMEspring19resume and YOURCOLLEGEUSERNAMEspring19essay.
Before uploading your documents, save your documents using these names:
OVERVIEW OF STEPS
1. Log into Handshake and review extern opportunities to determine your specific choices. The document is found in the “Bi-Co Extern Program” posting.
2. Confirm your ability to participate in the Program dates.
3. Complete the online extern application form where you will be asked to make your sponsor choices.
4. Upload your resume and essay into the online system and apply to the job posting.
5. Both the online form and documents must be submitted by Thursday, January 31. Failure to complete both steps will result in an incomplete application.
6. Questions: BMC Students - contact Patty Greenfield at firstname.lastname@example.org. Get your application questions answered in-person during CPD drop-in hours from 2:00-4:00pm, Monday-Friday.