What They Do
Acción Comunal Latinoamericana de Montgomery County (ACLAMO), located in Norristown, is the only bi-lingual social service agency in Montgomery County. Since 1976 ACLAMO has worked to promote improved access to economic, health, educational, social and cultural opportunities for low-income individuals and families in Montgomery County, especially those of Spanish speaking background. ACLAMO offers low-income Latinos access to programs in employment, housing, supplementary education/drop-out prevention, family literacy, early prenatal care and primary care health services and parenting education.
How We Work Together
Bryn Mawr College and ACLAMO have been connected in many ways since 2004, and Bryn Mawr students have:
- participated in and assisted with the ACLAMO Christmas Party and the Thanksgiving Drive
- assisted with various grant writing projects at ACLAMO through the Effective Grantsmanship Program
- participated in the after-school program and the bilingual preschool and adult ESL classes
- had summer funded internships in the ACLAMO summer programs
- been employed at ACLAMO through the Community-Based Work Study Program
During 2013-2014, Bryn Mawr and ACLAMO established a new college access program called Adelante for middle school students who attend the After-School Program.