Core ConceptsStudents can develop their information literate abilities by engaging in learning activities based on four core concepts.
In the MajorHelp deepen students' discipline knowledge with an information literacy plan for the major.
Program RationaleIn the digital age, students need information literacy education more than ever before.
Teaching Information LiteracyA librarian can help you integrate information literacy experiences into your courses in a variety of ways.
What is Information Literacy?
Information literacy is the set of integrated abilities encompassing the reflective discovery of information, the understanding of how information is produced and valued, and the use of information in creating new knowledge and participating ethically in communities of learning. -Association of College & Research Libraries
Benefits for Students
- Improve research skills, critical thinking, and authorship
- Deepen learning and content knowledge
- Bring awareness to campus library expertise and resources
Benefits for Faculty
- Collaborate on lesson planning and research assignment design
- Develop assessment tools for measuring student learning
- Help students transition from novices to experts in their field
Contact your subject librarian to discuss integrating information literacy into your course or across the major.