The Mathematics Department at Bryn Mawr College believes in cultivating a vibrant and enriching environment with a sense of community and fellowship for all those studying mathematics.
The department sponsors a wide range of events throughout the year:
- Welcome Back Toast
- Majors Fall & Spring Receptions
- Holiday Party
- Math Appreciation Week
- De-stressing Math Collective (DMC)
- Problem Solving Seminar
- Putnam Club
- Panel Discussions
- Excursions to Mathematical Conferences
The department provides opportunities for students to take leadership around supporting departmental activities.
- Senior Major Reps: These students are senior mathematics majors who help organize the primary social events during the school year. The Major Reps also serve as liaisons between faculty and students. Majors who have ideas for activities in the department should feel free to contact the Major Reps.
- Junior Major Reps: These students are junior mathematics majors who assist the Senior Major Reps in the duties listed above and often continue in the senior year to be Senior Major Reps.
- Mathematics Photographer: This student photographs mathematics department functions.
- De-stressing Math Collective (DMC) Coordinator: This student (or students) organizes the meetings of the De-stressing Math Collective, a group started in 1997 by students wanting to discuss mathematical paradoxes and other mathematical topics not usually covered in math courses. In recent years, meetings have consisted of a math talk given by a volunteer, followed by math-oriented-game-playing and snacks. The DMC attracts a mix of undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty, alumnae, and friends.
NOTE: All positions may be shared by a team of students. If you are interested in volunteering for any of these positions, please contact Professor Amy N. Myers at email@example.com.
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
- Biographies of Women Mathematicians
- The KnotPlot Site
- Millennium Prize Problems
- Famous Curves
- Math Forum
- Career Profiles
- AMS Mathematics Calendar