Tri-College Identity, Equity and Social Justice Institute - August 23-28, 2017
The Tri-College Identity, Equity and Social Justice Summer Institute (Tri-Co) is an orientation sponsored by Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore Colleges for first-year students who are interested in exploring issues of identity, power, privilege and social justice. The institute focuses on the ways in which such power dynamics relate to race, class, sexuality, gender, ability, and religion; participants will explore how these social identities relate to one another.
The goal of the program is to enable first-year students to gain knowledge and skills needed to thrive in the curricular and co-curricular areas of campus life; and learn how to become effective social agents for change within their own institutions, in the United States and the world.
The 2017 Summer Institute will take place from August 23-28. Participants should enter the program with the understanding that they will engage in a process of development and change as they learn about themselves, their identity groups, systems of power and their institutions. All entering first-year students are invited to apply; however, spaces are limited. Students participating in early arrival fall athletic programs or International Student Orientation are not able to participate in Tri-Co due to schedule conflicts. There are no fees or additional costs to participants in the Tri-Co program.
The Tri-College Summer Institute is designed to:
- Provide participants with a supportive space for them to explore individual/group identity issues and to situate these issues within broader systemic and institutional contexts
- Challenge participants to develop greater awareness regarding gender, race, sexuality, socio-economic class, spirituality, ability and power and privilege
- Provide participants with skill development to address issues of inequity on their campuses and beyond
- Familiarize first-year students with the administrative support services on each campus
- Develop a network of peer and administrative support across the Tri-College community
The BMC Tri-Co Administrative Team:
Stephanie Nixon (Campus Lead)