Update on Summer Funding Program as of March 25, 2020
A lot of uncertainty still exists around how COVID-19 will impact life in the upcoming weeks and months. At this point, we are hoping and planning to run the Career & Civic Engagement Center Summer Funding; however, we want to be transparent that our plans could change based on how the COVID-19 situation evolves. As President Cassidy indicated in her message to the community on March 20, College leadership will be reviewing summer programs soon.
Students must still submit a complete Summer Funding Application Form by April 5 – this funding application deadline will remain firm. We made two changes to the process. One change is to extend the deadline to submit the Organization Verification form to Sunday, April 26. We encourage those who have already been in touch with their organizations and who are able to submit the Organization Verification form by the April 5 deadline to continue to do so as it will complete your application. If we can continue as planned with the summer funding program, we will begin reviewing applications immediately after the April 5 deadline, giving priority to those who have submitted both the Summer Funding Application Form and the Organization Verification Form. In addition to still considering on-site internships (unless we are directed otherwise by the College), a second change is that we will consider funding remote work options that fit all the internship eligibility criteria (normally we do not fund remote internships) for this summer only.
There are three steps to completing the application.
Step 1: Application Form
Fill out the 2020 Career & Civic Engagement Center Funding Application Form for Self Design Internships. The application form will ask for the following:
- A budget that includes your costs associated with the internship
- A TriCo Faculty or Staff member to serve as your reference
- Additional department and committee funding sources for which you would like to be considered
- Details about the length of internship and host organization
The application must be completed in one sitting. You may not save your entries and return. To familiarize yourself with the application before you begin to complete it, you can find a copy of the questions here.
In addition, the application form will ask you to upload the following documents:
- A one-page resume that outlines your education and experience.
- An internship proposal (up to 700 words). Please describe in detail: a) the organization's description and mission; b) your responsibilities and projects as an intern; c) the supervision you will receive; and, d) what contributions you hope to make to the organization as an intern.
- A personal statement (up to 700 words). Please describe in detail a) your preparation for the proposed internship; b) what you hope to learn from the experience; and, c) how the experience will enhance to your academic, personal, and professional goals.
- For students with internships outside the U.S. and not in their country of residence, please submit an essay about your preparedness to live and work abroad (up to 500 words): (a) what past experiences have prepared you to work abroad? (b) how do you hope to grow by interning in this city and country? (c) what challenges do you anticipate with this internship, and how do you plan on handling them?
Step 2: TriCo Reference Name
In the application form, you will be asked to identify a TriCo Faculty or Staff member to serve as your reference. The reference may be contacted during the application review period in April. A completed recommendation form is no longer needed for the LILAC Funding Application.
Step 3: Organization Verification
Send the Organization Verification Form to the internship organization by the deadline. This should be completed by your supervisor, the hiring manager/internship coordinator, or someone who will be working at your host site. This must be received by the deadline for your application to be considered. In cases where the organization does not have access to the internet, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make alternate arrangements.