Celebrate Earth Day 2021 and Bryn Mawr's Commitment to be Carbon Neutral by 2035
Check out the series of live and virtual events organized to celebrate Earth Day.
Week-Long Events and Activities
- Using this map and the QR codes provided at the bases of the listed trees, enjoy Bryn Mawr's beautiful campus by taking a self-guided tree tour. (The map includes other objects that can be removed by clicking the "layers" icon in the top right-hand corner.)
- Watch "Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin" (2003) about the life of the instrumental civil rights organizer and activist. In it, Rustin mentions a significant connection to the grounds at the College. Click here to watch using your Bryn Mawr account.
- Head over to earthday.org to check out the schedule for online events, speaker panels, and performances to celebrate Earth Day 2021 globally!
Tuesday, April 20
Earth Day 2021 begins with a global youth climate summit led by Earth Uprising, in collaboration with My Future My Voice, OneMillionOfUs and hundreds of youth climate activists. Click here to find out more and to stream the summit.
Wednesday, April 28 (Re-scheduled)
3:30 p.m. at the hammocks: Come enjoy an outdoor dance performance titled "signals" by one of BMC's Dance Program ensembles. The creation of this dance was led, facilitated, and choreographed by Lela Aisha Jones, assistant professor of dance, with performances and artistic contributions from Liz M. Burke, Bethan G. Lodge, and Angelina Marsella.
According to Lela Aisha Jones, "This movement-based creative offering is inspired by reflections on how the earth may be experiencing us, real and imagined communication between us and nature, and trees that are of particular interest in our lives. We desire to remain elegant while traversing quite a time. Some of us try to connect. We try through our bodies to find a soulful exchange--reciprocity. We miss signals. We are compost. We are fertilization for the next generation. Legacy is our activism."
If you would like to see more, the Spring Dance Concert takes place on Friday and Saturday, May 7 and 8, at 8 p.m., with a matinee on Saturday, May 8 at 2 p.m. in McPherson Auditorium, Goodhart Hall, Bryn Mawr College. Reservations are recommended. Seating begins at 7 p.m. and is first-come, first-served, until capacity is reached. Click here to register.
Thursday, April 22
4-5 p.m., Virtual: Community Forum—Sustainability at Bryn Mawr. Learn about sustainability at Bryn Mawr and our new commitment to carbon neutrality by 2035. This event includes a presentation of our greenhouse gas inventory and an interactive discussion of priorities for continued progress towards our goal. (RSVP on the Event Page for the Zoom link.)
Friday, April 23
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Meet at Perry Garden to get your shovel: Community Tree Planting Day. To celebrate our commitment to carbon neutrality by 2035, the College is hosting a mass tree planting on campus. This planting is a first step in off-setting our carbon footprint and reforesting a portion of the campus. Stop by and plant a tree!
- 3:30-5:30 p.m., Outside of Old Library: Clothing Swap. Join the Green Ambassadors to close out Earth Week by exchanging some clothes for new spring outfits with the campus community!