Costs and Financial Aid

Learn about applying for admission with financial support.

What We Offer

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) at Bryn Mawr College offers many forms of financial support to Ph.D. students. 

Fellowships and Assistantships include health insurance coverage and a tuition award. The grant for health insurance covers the premium for the Bryn Mawr College student health plan. Tuition awards cover the tuition charges for up to six units of coursework (three each semester), which is a full-time course load. Please note, TAs may take only two units of coursework each semester.

How to Apply

To apply for any form of Academic Year financial support, simply answer yes to the question, "Do you wish to be considered for financial support?" when completing the online application.

Students may apply for Supplemental Summer Support (SSRF and RA) in the preceding spring semester.


All financial support from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is awarded on the basis of merit rather than need.

Merit is determined by the faculty in the department to which the applicant has applied, on the basis of academic promise gauged from the application dossier. The allocation of financial support is at the discretion of the Dean, based on recommendations from individual departments and input from the Subcommittee on Awards of the Graduate Council.


Student Financial Services can advise students on applying for student loans. U.S. citizens and permanent residents applying for Stafford and other federal loans are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For more information about federal loan possibilities, visit the Federal Student Aid website.