Graduate Emergency Fund

Bryn Mawr College has access to funds to support graduate students who are experiencing financial hardship due to an unanticipated event.

A student is typically eligible to receive funding once per academic year. These funds do not need to be repaid and are distributed on a case-by-case basis. Funds will be made available as soon as possible and are generally limited to $300. 

Examples of such events might include, but are not limited to:  

  • Travel expenses due to a serious illness, death or emergency in the student's immediate family
  • Essential dental work or eyeglasses
  • Unforeseen personal medical expenses
  • Replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
  • Safety needs, such as winter clothing for students from warm climates

To be eligible for these funds, an individual must be a current graduate student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) or the Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research (GSSWSR) and be enrolled for the term in which funding is requested. The Graduate Emergency Fund is not used to cover charges from Bryn Mawr, or items already calculated in a student’s financial aid cost of attendance (such as tuition, room and board and fees, and books). Because these emergency funds are limited, we also encourage students to pursue other institutional financial resources, including student loans before applying to receive funds. The amount given is determined by the need and subject to the availability of the funds.

Unfortunately, international students on F-1 and J-1 visas are not eligible for funds for unexpected expenses, per the federal regulation of their visas. Also, payments made from U.S. sources constitute taxable income to a nonresident payee and the College must withhold tax from the payment at a standard rate of 30 percent. International students are encouraged to contact GSAS or GSSWSR to explore alternative sources of funding.

Please click on this link to apply for funding from the Graduate Emergency Fund. You may be contacted to meet with a staff member of GSAS or GSSWSR to discuss your circumstance and then they will consult with campus partners, including the financial aid office. 

Graduate Emergency funding may create a taxable event that could require reporting to the IRS by the recipient.

Students should contact Abby Traucht in GSAS ( or Sue Edgerton in GSSWSR ( to discuss their specific situation.