GSAS Travel/Research Funds

Travel Fund Application before Travel

Graduate students may request reimbursement for the following professional costs:

  1. Travel to present research at a conference or other academic venue
  2. Travel to a conference but not presenting research
  3. Travel to a workshop
  4. Travel to take a course at another institution
  5. Research expenses

Applications for travel/research funds during the academic year should be submitted as soon as you are aware of possible travel. The requests should include an estimate of the expenses and the conference name and location. To help equitably distribute the travel support, students should plan early and apply for the travel/research funds by October 31 for the current academic year through the link below. After reviewing each request, the GSAS office will let each student know the amount of reimbursement available to them. Applications for travel/research funds submitted after the deadline can still be considered but are not guaranteed. 

Apply for Travel/Research Funds

Funds do not always suffice to reimburse expenses in full. In no case will reimbursement exceed $1,000. Preference is given to students who have not previously been reimbursed.

Reimbursement Documents Submission after Travel

After the travel is complete, students should download and fill out the reimbursement form (pdf) below and submit it along with receipts for all expenses to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences office by email at

We cannot reimburse any expense for which no receipt is presented. For major items (airfare, hotel, etc.) paid by credit card, in addition to the receipt, students must also submit a copy of the statement of the monthly credit card bill on which the charge appears.

After-Travel Reimbursement Form [pdf]

The IRS requires that reimbursements be counted as taxable income. Consequently, the College will withhold taxes from reimbursement made to non-Resident Aliens (i.e., student in F-1 or J-1 status). U.S. citizens and Resident Aliens are responsible for declaring reimbursements as income on their annual tax returns.