Bryn Mawr College's Digital Competencies Program helps students build the digital skills and critical perspectives on technology needed for success in the digital age.
Skype for Business service for the community, the February Competency of the Month is 2.1 Collaborative Communication. Skype for Business is a great tool for everything from planning webinars to chatting online with friends and colleagues. Keep an eye out for the upcoming Skype for Business Spotlight Series on the Bryn Mawr LITS blog; each week they'll be showcasing a specific feature or use case.
Featured Student Opportunities
Attend the Tri-Co Hackathon (Feb. 2-3). Are you interested in computer science, or in learning how to build apps and programs? Learn collaboratively with students from across the Tri-Co. Open to all skill levels! More information.
Learn from Pixar (Feb. 5). Danielle Feinberg, Pixar's Director of Photography for Lighting, is coming to campus! Feinberg uses math, science and code to bring wonder to the big screen. Go behind the scenes of Finding Nemo, Toy Story 3, Brave, WALL-E, Coco and more. Learn more and register.
"Like" Lynda.com (ongoing). Follow the Bryn Mawr LITS social media feeds (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) this month to see recommended videos from Lynda.com, a huge collection of online videos teaching you all sorts of technologies. Each recommendation will be paired with applicable digital competencies. Lynda.com is free for the Bryn Mawr College community!
Find a Job (ongoing). This summer, you can develop your digital competencies and get paid for it. There are a lot of opportunities already up on the LILAC Summer Funding site, including three internships where you'll work closely with Bryn Mawr College staff: internships in digital curriculum development, film/multimedia, and information security. More information.
These past few months, during break, we've been working on additional outreach to Bryn Mawr faculty/staff and beyond. The week before classes, Bryn Mawr's Educational Technology Services offered a series of tech skills workshops on Skype for Business, Digital Assignments, and Writing on Screen.
Even if you weren't able to attend the workshops, there are plenty of ways for faculty to get involved in Digital Bryn Mawr.
- Submit to the Blended Learning in the Liberal Arts Conference by 2/15! The Conference will be held May 23-24 at Bryn Mawr College. We accept proposals and lightning round talks from faculty, staff, and students, on topics related to blended learning, broadly defined.
- Stop by one of our upcoming Tech Talks. In February, Andrea Samz-Pustol, a graduate student in the Classical & Near Eastern Archaeology department, will discuss "Using Google Earth as a Research Tool: Digital Survey, Mapping, and Visibility"
- Apply to a Digital Bryn Mawr seed grant by 2/15. If you're interested in working with student interns on your digital pedagogy or scholarship project over the summer, this is the deadline to meet.
Spreading the Word: What's New in the Digital Competencies Program
In January, we launched a PLACE webinar series on the digital competencies. We worked with colleagues at Davidson College to create a digital version of last semester's Digital Competencies Think Tank. We were blown away by the turnout--about fifty people from at least fourteen different institutions--and by the creative challenge of adapting our material to a new audience.
One point that came up in the webinar is the importance of alumni, both in helping us craft the framework and in helping get student buy-in. We're excited to announce that in February we'll be partnering with the Bryn Mawr Office of Development to share the Digital Competencies more broadly with our alums. More information about the Slade Society here.
- 2018 Tri-Co Hackathon
All Day Event February 2-3, 2018
- Meet Danielle Feinberg (Pixar's Director of Photography for Lighting)
4:15pm - 6:00pm February 5, 2019
- Blended Learning in the Liberal Arts Call for Submissions by 2/15
All Day Event February 15, 2018
- LITS Digital Bryn Mawr Seed Grant Funding Deadline
All Day Event February 15, 2018
- Tech Talk: Using Google Earth as a Research Tool: Digital Survey, Mapping, and Visibility
4:00pm - 5:00pm February 20, 2018