Visit Special Collections
Individual Researcher Visits to Collections
Special Collections is open by appointment 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with the Special Collections staff in advance of their visits and to make an appointment a day in advance of when they want to do research. Instructions for people outside of the Bryn Mawr/Haverford/Swarthmore College communities are below.
2021-2022 Regulations for Visiting Researchers
- People from outside of the Bryn Mawr/ Haverford/ Swarthmore College communities are welcome to do research in Special Collections.
- Visiting Researchers are required to observe the College's requirements for Visitors, found on the College's website. Special Collections staff will point visitors to current College requirements.
- Visitors are required to wear masks at all times when indoors, as stated in the College’s Visitor policies.
- Visitors must consult with Special Collections staff in advance of their visit to identify collections they wish to use, to schedule an appointment, and to determine if their work can be done remotely using digitized collections.
- Visitors who plan to be engaged in research for more than a day will be required to show upon arrival either proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours of their arrival. Please do not email COVID-related information to us.
Class Visits to Collections
Special Collections staff is available to work with Bi-Co faculty to make teaching with collections possible. Class meetings in our seminar room, online classes, prerecorded presentations, and scheduled appointments for individual students to work with materials first hand are all available. Schedule an appointment online or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assignments Using Collections
Faculty are encouraged to develop assignments that incorporate collections. Students may visit collections independently for this purpose, but please contact Special Collections staff at least two weeks in advance to determine the best way to manage this.
Class Visits to Exhibitions
For information about group tours or visits, please contact contact us at email@example.com or 610-526-6576. Advanced notice of two weeks is appreciated.
Please include the following information in your email or voicemail:
- Group name (college and class title)
- Expected number of participants
- Faculty name, phone number, and email
- Exhibition you’d like to view
- Preferred date and time for your tour
- Special needs your group might have
The gallery's regular hours are 10 a.m.–4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
See what is currently on view.
Attend Friday Finds Programs
Special Collections typically offers a variety of programs in support of its collections and exhibitions almost every Friday at noon.
Spring 2022: Friday Finds programs will be a combination of in-person and virtual events that follow a less predictable schedule. These events are free and open to the public. Classes are encouraged to attend.
Friday Finds can also be an opportunity for students to present research they've done on materials in Special Collections as part of a course assignment or independently. Please contact Special Collections staff if interested.