Prof. Emerita Brunilde Ridgway Honored by American School of Classical Studies
The American School of Classical Studies at Athens has named a room in its renovated student center in honor of Brunilde Ridgway, Rhys Carpenter Professor Emeritus of Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology.
Ridgway's long association with the school spanned five decades and continues to the present day. She spent two years at the American School (1955–1957) while working on her second Ph.D. at Bryn Mawr. She later returned to the school to lead summer sessions in 1967 and 1971 and served as Whitehead Professor in the fall of 1988. In 1977–1979, she was chair of the Alumni Council and a member of the Managing Committee.
Ridgway began teaching at Bryn Mawr in 1957. In 1977, she was named Rhys Carpenter Professor of Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology, which she held until her retirement in 1994. Among her many career highlights, in 1988 she won the Gold Medal of the Archaeological Institute of America. She earned her Italian doctorate at the University of Messina and received her Ph.D. in 1958 from Bryn Mawr College.
Department of Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology