Undergraduate students who are interested in submitting their writing for publication or for presenting at a conference can find information here on Calls for Submissions that have been sent to the Department of English. Questions regarding calls for submissions should be addressed to the publication or to Bryn Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Calls for Submissions
Undergraduate Conference Call for Papers
"Conjuring the Past: Reception in Classical, Medieval, and Early Modern Studies"
Feb. 22, 2020 | The Pennsylvania State University—University Park
We welcome papers by undergraduate students that investigate the ways in which texts, objects, and images from the medieval and early modern periods reimagine or reconstruct the past and/or are reimagined and reconstructed in later periods.
Topics for papers may include, but are not limited to:
- Medieval and early modern reception of classical mythology/culture/art
- Early modern and Enlightenment reception of classical/medieval literature/culture/art
- Arthurian legend past and present
- The Hero throughout the ages
- Contemporary video-games, graphic novels, television shows, and/or films with medieval or early modern settings, characters, and cultures
- Dungeons and Dragons and/or other role-playing games
- Book history
- The Pre-Raphaelites and other neo-medievalist movements
- Nationalism and race
To submit a paper please send (1) an abstract of approximately 250 words and (2) a two- or three-sentence bio written in the third person to Audrey Gradzewicz (email@example.com) and Matt Schuknecht (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The deadline for submissions is Dec. 7, 2019.