Bryn Mawr College's Campus Safety Department operates continuously to provide a safe environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors that is conducive to both academic achievement and social development.
The Campus Safety Department is located in the John J. Maloney Building adjacent to the Upper Science lot behind the Park Science complex. The Campus Safety 24-member team provides 24-hour, seven-days-a-week services to the community with a focus on
- safety education and crime prevention programs
- fire prevention and emergency response training
- protecting students, faculty, staff and campus guests and their belongings when on campus
- late-night student transportation/escort services (the "Lantern Van" or "Lantern Shuttle" service)
- referrals to other campus resources
- transporting students with medical crises
- responding to campus emergencies or requests for assistance all day, every day
- providing self-defense training to those interested
- parking program management
- tracking crime and providing transparency by making reports of campus incidents and crime statistics available
Emergency Contact Information
- From an on-campus phone line or phone box: x7911
- Off campus: (610) 526-7911
- Campus and Emergency Phone Map (PDF)
If off-campus and municipal police assistance is required: dial 911
When on campus, it is recommended to call Campus Safety first before calling 911 but if you do require emergency response from the local municipal police, fire or ambulance services, please dial 8911 from any campus phone (for all outside calls from any campus phone you must press 8 first, then the phone number).
Reporting a Crime or Incident
Students, faculty, staff, and guests are asked to report all crimes, medical emergencies and other safety related incidents to the Bryn Mawr College Campus Safety Department in a timely manner by dialing x7911 or 610-526-7911. For historic information, see the annual security and fire safety report.
Why do you see Local Police
Bryn Mawr College is located within Lower Merion Township and the streets that encompass our campus are also access roads for our neighbors in Bryn Mawr and are owned and maintained by the Township. By law, local police have jurisdiction over Bryn Mawr's campus and do provide services in a manner that is as supportive as possible to the Bryn Mawr College community.
Up To Date Weather
Being aware of the weather forecast and prepared for any potential risks it may bring (for ice, lightening, power outages, etc.) is important for everyone on campus. One way of keeping up-to-date on current forecasts is to download a local weather app like the NBC 10 Philadelphia Weather App: iOS app store or the Google Play store.
The Lantern Van operates from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. seven days a week while classes are in session. To request a transport, please call 610-526-7900 (extension 7900 on campus). After Lantern Van hours, please call the Campus Safety Department at 610-526-7911 for an escort. Should you have other questions pertaining to the Tri-College Transportation System, visit the Transportation website.
Students are expected to carry their official identification card at all times on campus, and the ID card can be used to identify themselves to Campus Safety or other officials when requested.
Campus Safety Department
John Maloney Memorial Building
Phone: (610) 526-7911
Bi-Co Executive Director, Campus Safety
Phone: (610) 526-7911