Four students walk down a dirt road with brightly colored two-storey buildings on either side.

For Students

International Travel Process & Resources

Below you can find requirements and other important information for students who are planning to travel internationally, either with or without Bryn Mawr faculty or staff. Questions regarding travel preparation and resources while traveling should be directed to the College department and/or individual coordinating the travel experience, and can also be directed to Professor Alice Lesnick, Associate Dean for Global Engagement:

Step 1: Plan Your Travel

  1. Passport
    • International travel requires the use of a passport, which must be valid six months after the scheduled date of return. You must carry copies while traveling.
  2. Visa
    • You must determine whether a visa is required for the country/duration of your intended travel, and obtain that visa if necessary. You also must consider any issues pertaining to cost and timetable.
  3. Documentation Copies
    • Make multiple copies of your travel documents. Keep one copy in a separate bag from the original and leave one copy with a responsible party.


A passport is an identification document issued by a government that gives a citizen official permission to travel in and out of their home country. A visa is a document issued by a government to visitors from other countries, providing them with legal entry into the issuing country. For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, an international visa, and country-specific international travel information, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs site, part of the U.S. Department of State

  1. BMC Travel Registry
    • You are required to register your travel through the BMC Travel Registry. The registry includes emergency contact information and is necessary for safe travel.
    • Please see the BMC Travel Registry User Guide for assistance.
    • BMC Travel Registry includes BMC Travel Agreement (for all travelers) and STEP Enrollment (for U.S. citizens).
  1. GSAS Student Travelers
  2. International Students
    • If you are an F-1 student, non-U.S. citizen, or permanent resident, you must contact International Student and Scholar Services for guidance regarding travel outside of the U.S. and to discuss necessary paperwork for travel and return.

Step 2: Protect Yourself & Your Trip

  1. Business Travel Insurance
  2. College Insurance Card
  3. Travel Cancellation Insurance
    • Consider signing up for travel cancellation insurance. Here are some options recommended by our BMC affiliated services.
  1. Medical Consultation & Vaccination
    • Contact Sue Mason, Lead Nurse at the Health Center ( to set up a consultation with Penn Travel Medicine.
    • Complete any vaccination and medical steps as directed.
  2. Prescriptions & Medicines
    • Identify and procure prescription and over-the-counter medications that you will need while traveling, including contingency for unexpected delays.
  3. Identify Medical Facilities
    • Locate and identify medical facilities located in your destination area(s). Understand how to contact medical facilities in an emergency.
  4. BMC Emergency Card

Critical Incident Response Process

A Critical Incident is an event that necessitates emergency medical care, challenges the travel itinerary, or poses a threat of harm to an individual or the group traveling.

Any individual experiencing or learning of a Critical Incident during a travel experience should immediately call the College’s Campus Safety Department at 1-610-526-7911 and convey the critical nature of the call. Campus Safety will gather as much information as the caller has available at the time and will notify the appropriate College administrator(s) who will coordinate the response.