Important Travel Tips Within and Outside the U.S

Important Travel Tips

Traveling Outside the U.S. Travel Endorsement

Whenever F-1 or J-1 students wish to leave the U.S. temporarily and return to continue studies at the institution in which they are enrolled, they must secure the necessary documents to permit entry to country of destination and re-entry to the U.S.

Students on an F-1 or J-1 student visa must obtain an endorsement (signature) by their school’s Principal or Designated School Official (F visa) or Responsible or Alternate Responsible Office (J visa) in order to re-enter the U.S after their travel.

Make sure your I-20 /DS2019 is endorsed (signed) before you travel.

A travel endorsement is valid for one year within your program period. To request a travel endorsement, complete a Travel Endorsement request in GPS.

Travel Within the U.S.

Non-US citizens, should carry their passports at all times while traveling within the U.S. It is recommended that they carry a copy of their I-20 or DS-2019 document also.

• Do not carry your Social Security card with you. Keep it in a safe location available to you only.

• A state ID that meets the federal requirements of Real ID may substitute for your passport.