Special Credit-No Credit Policy for 2020 and Spring 2021
The Special Grading policies put into place for Spring 2020, Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 allow for the following exceptions to the Credit/No Credit policy – Courses in the major could be taken CR/N; CR grades that cover a merit grade (2.0 or better) can count toward the major and College requirements; P (Pass) grades assigned by a faculty member in Spring 2020 may count toward the major and College requirements.
- Students will be allowed to declare up to four (4) courses in the 2020-21 academic year CR/NC.
- Students may choose to use the four (4) Credit/No Credits in one semester or spread them across both semesters in the way that works best for them.
- These will not count toward the overall limit of four (4) CR/NC courses currently allowed over the student’s time at Bryn Mawr.
- Students will have until June 14th, 2021, after the end of the Spring 2021 semester, to decide which courses taken in the academic Year 2020-2021 will appear as CR/NC on their transcripts.
- Students can retroactively decide to uncover grades at any time including after graduation, with the stipulation that once uncovered they will remain uncovered.
- Students can declare courses in their major CR/NC, but if the grade is below 2.0, it will be at the department’s discretion whether or not to count that course toward the major. The same applies for prerequisites.
- Faculty will assign letter grades to all students as usual; there is no option for faculty to declare a course Pass/Fail during the academic year 2020-2021.
What does that mean for the Fall 2020 semester?
- You can use all four Credit/No Credits in the Fall if that works best for you, but you do not have to make that decision until after Spring grades are available.
- You can update a course in BiONiC in the usual way through the end of exams if you wish – the deadline of November 20th has been removed
- A form will be available in BiONiC later this semester for you to select and adjust your Credit/No Credit choices through the June deadline. I will share instructions and information once the form is available.
- Recognizing that long term plans may be impacted by decisions made now, you will be able to uncover a course covered by a Credit (CR) grade during the academic year 2020-2021, after this academic year is over. Once uncovered the decision cannot be changed. We will create a form for the requests which become available after June.
- If I select courses CR/NC in Fall, do I still have until June 14 to adjust them once I see my grades for the full year? Does that count as “uncovering”? You will have until the final deadline, June 14th, to select to cover a course. Changes during the 2020-2021 academic year will not count as uncovering. We suggest waiting until the end of the year to make your decisions, but there may be reasons you wish to make some decisions for Fall earlier than June 14th.
- Can I use one of my regular credit/no credits during AY 2020-2021? No, the 2020-2021 Policy is in place for this academic year which allows four additional CR/NCs.
- If I take a course for an approach or other College Wide Requirement CR/NC do I have to get a 2.0 or above for it to count toward the requirement? Yes, the grade threshold for requirements is still a 2.0 or above. But grades of 1.0 and above are covered by the CR grade.
Uncovering Credit-No Credit Grades for Courses Taken Fall 2020 and Spring 2021
Students can retroactively decide to uncover grades at any time including after graduation, with the stipulation that once uncovered they will remain uncovered.To request that a course grade be uncovered please complete the form at this link.
Click here for more information about Credit-No Credit in general at Bryn Mawr.