HEERF II Student Report as of September 30, 2021
Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (CRRSAA) Student Portion
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Emergency Student Financial Aid Grants Report as of September 30, 2021
On December 27, 2020, the President of the United States signed the Coronavirus, Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 to provide emergency relief funds to organizations and individuals affected by the coronavirus pandemic. The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF II), found in Section 314(a)(1) of the CRRSAA Act, allows higher education institutions to use certain funds allocated by the Department of Education to support students and higher education institutions with expenses and financial needs related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
As a recipient of HEERF II funds, the following information is provided to comply with guidance from the Department of Education.
- On April 13, 2020, Bryn Mawr College (the “College”) signed and returned to the Department of Education (“DoE”) the Certification and Agreement associated with the Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, And Economic Security Act (the “CARES Act”). Bryn Mawr College received its HEERF II Grant award notification on January 19, 2021; signing an additional agreement to receive this funding allocation was not required. In keeping with the terms of acceptance of these funds, Bryn Mawr College will use no less than $511,421, as stated under Section 314(a)(1) of the CRRSAA Act, to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants directly to students.
- According to the DoE’s published table, Bryn Mawr College was allocated $511,421 under Section 314(a)(1) of the CRRSAA Act which is specifically designated to be provided directly to students.
- Through September 30, 2021, $507,100 of the Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 314(a)(1) of the CRRSAA Act was distributed to eligible students. None of these funds were distributed between June 30 and September 30, 2021.
- The estimated number of students enrolled at the institution as of September 7, 2021 eligible to receive HEERF II Emergency Financial Aid Grants was 975.
- Through June 30, 2021, the total number of students who received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant to students under Section 314(a)(1) of the CRRSAA Act is 676. No additional students received grants between June 30 and September 30, 2021.
- For the $507,100 distributed in April 2021, Bryn Mawr College used the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as the application to apply for a HEERF II Grant. Any student enrolled as of March 21, 2021 who had filed a 2020-2021 FAFSA that confirmed their U.S. Citizen or permanent resident status, who was Title IV eligible, and who demonstrated financial need by qualifying for need-based financial aid during the Spring 2020 semester or for federal loans was determined to be eligible for a grant of HEERF II funds. Students with greater demonstrated financial need were provided larger amounts while those with less demonstrated financial need were provided smaller amounts.
As of September 30, 2021, $4,321 of the student allocation was undistributed. Bryn Mawr College plans to use a similar methodology to distribute the remaining funds to students enrolled in the Fall 2021 semester.
- During the quarter ending September 30, 2021, students were made aware of HEERF funds via an e-mail sent on September 15, 2021. Then on September 22, 2021, an individualized e-mail was sent to students who had completed a FAFSA and had demonstrated financial need notifying them of the proposed award amount and method of payment (check or direct deposit).
Students were given the ability to decline their award or reduce the amount of their award to align it with their assessment of the financial impact of the pandemic. Adjustments to award amounts will be made accordingly. The distribution of the remaining $4,321 is expected to occur the week of October 18, 2021.