A Physics Major With an Engineering Focus

Students interested in enriching their physics education by incorporating engineering coursework can do so through coursework in engineering at Swarthmore College or the University of Pennsylvania. Bryn Mawr students also have the opportunity to transition to an engineering program through a combined degree program. Visit the combined degree page for more details about the application process and frequently asked questions. See below for a short description of the programs available through the physics major.

Master's Programs

University of Pennsylvania 4+1 Program

Qualified students can earn a master’s degree in engineering following completion of four years at Bryn Mawr and one year at UPenn. A GPA of 3.0 in all courses and of 3.0 in science and math courses is required to apply. Contact Dr. Mark Matlin for more information regarding the program and learn more here.

University of Rochester 4+2 Master's in Optics

Earn a master’s degree in optics following completion of four years at Bryn Mawr and two years at The University of Rochester’s Institute of Optics. Contact Dr. Mike Noel for more information.

Dual Degree Programs

Caltech 3+2 AB/BS Program
Columbia 3+2 AB/BS Program

Students interested in earning a BS degree in engineering in addition to an AB degree can apply for either the Caltech or Columbia 3+2 program. A student in this program would complete three years of coursework at Bryn Mawr College and then attend Caltech or Columbia for the remaining two years, receiving both an AB and a BS at the end of five years total. The Caltech program requires an application. The Columbia program can offer guaranteed acceptance given a set of requirements including a minimum 3.0 GPA. Contact Dr. Mark Matlin for more information.

physics lab

Contact Us

Department of Physics

Park Science Building
Bryn Mawr College
101 N. Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-2899
Phone: 610-526-5358