Printed Materials Guidelines
General Guidelines for Printed Materials
The Office of Communications partners with others on campus to produce printed materials in support of events and programs. Generally, these are the steps involved:
- A preliminary meeting with Communications to determine scope and assign tasks.
- Communications will create a production timeline with deadlines.
Timelines will vary according to the scope and complexity of the project. For example, scheduling interviews and photo sessions with students, alumnae/i, and faculty requires a generous timeline. The more lead time, the smoother the process, the higher the quality, and the less room for error.
- Proofing, revisions, and approvals.
Communications will provide proofs of the printed pieces. Since the Office of Communications works on many publications simultaneously and changes consume time (and may delay publication date), an efficient and timely approval process is important. On final approval, the job will be sent to the printer.
Communications produces a range of materials to promote events, which depends on the scope of the event, audience, and budget. The packages below are intended to help with your planning process and can be modified to fit your needs. (For example, if you need posters, table tents, and a program but no printed save-the-date or invitation, we can certainly provide those materials.) Basic information to supply: title, speaker, and description; date and venue; lunch/refreshments; sponsoring group; and if open to the public.
Basic Package (for campus audience)
- 50 posters (11x17) and 100 table tents for the dining halls (Dining Services will distribute)
- Provide information to Communications four weeks in advance for delivery two weeks in advance of event
Basic+ Package (for campus and external audiences)
- Basic Package and any combination of the following: Digital assets (web header, email header, social media), flyer/small poster
- Provide information to Communications six weeks in advance of event
Minor Events Package (for campus and external audiences, including alumnae/i)
- Basic+ Package and any combination of the following: Save-the-Date Postcard, Invitation, Program
- Provide information to Communications 10 weeks in advance of event for Save-the-Date Postcard and Invitation; two weeks for program
Major Events Package (for campus and external audiences, including alumnae/i, and possibly media)
- Minor Event Package plus marketing concept/branding and any combination of the following: Pem Arch Banner, Swag, Tickets, Stickers, Sidewalk Skins
- Planning begins at least six months in advance
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.