Frequently Asked Questions

Planning should begin in your first year. Talk to your dean and relevant faculty about your interest in studying abroad. Chat with the Study Abroad Student Coordinators — students who have previously studied abroad and who can help you with the process. Look through the list of Approved Programs to begin thinking about where you would like to study.

Many students choose to study abroad in the summer instead of or in addition to the academic year.  Summer study abroad has the advantage of flexibility since students are not limited to the list of approved programs.  Students hoping to transfer credit from summer study abroad must review transfer credit policies and apply for transfer credit approval through the Registrar's Office.

The College provides limited scholarships to help with the cost of summer study abroad, which are administered through various offices. Students should be aware, however, that Bryn Mawr institutional financial aid cannot be used for study abroad.

Yes, you need approval if you are planning to go during the academic year and have credits transfer back to Bryn Mawr. Final approval to study abroad is formally granted by the Study Abroad Committee, made up of faculty as well as staff in the Undergraduate Deans’ Office and the Director of Global Education.

To receive approval from Bryn Mawr to study abroad, you need to complete an application in BiONiC that will be reviewed by the Study Abroad Committee. You must also apply for admission to your program or host university. Visit How to Apply, talk to a Study Abroad Student Coordinator, submit a question to studyabroad@brynmawr.edu, and make an appointment with the Director of Global Education if you have questions.

Approved Programs each have their own deadline. Visit Approved Programs for more information.

Yes, you must request approval from your major adviser (for Major #1 in your Major Work Plan) to study abroad by asking your adviser to submit a Study Abroad Major Adviser Evaluation Form. You can find this form in the Study Abroad box at the bottom of your Major Work Plan.

If you want to take courses abroad to fulfill a requirement in your major, you need to have the specific course approved by your major adviser. This approval may take place either before or after your term abroad. Only courses approved by the major department can be counted toward the major. Your adviser must send an email to the Registrar notifying them that said course will count towards your major. Courses taken for elective credit are approved by the Registrar.

Students of all abilities are encouraged to apply to study abroad. If you receive accommodations at Bryn Mawr and are interested in studying abroad, we encourage you to  contact Director of Global Education Tracy Weber and/or Director of Access Services Deb Alder as soon as possible. Our offices are committed to working closely together to support you in the process of studying abroad. Access and accommodations vary considerably from country to country, so it is essential to start planning early.

Yes, all travelers must have a passport. Your passport is the official identification of your citizenship. You should make sure that your passport is valid until at least six months after your planned date of return from your study abroad programs. If you are a U.S. citizen, visit the U.S. Department of State passport website. International students and non-U.S. citizens should check with the embassy of your country of citizenship in the United States if you need to renew your passport.

It is your responsibility to follow visa requirements, including those for countries you plan to visit before or after your study abroad programs. It can take several weeks to gather all of the documents needed for a visa application. Consult with your chosen program about obtaining a visa.

International students may need to have a U.S. visa valid beyond the period of their study abroad program before they may apply for a student visa for study abroad. Students on a non-immigrant F-1 Visa should consult with The Impact Center to make sure that all their U.S. immigration paperwork is in place for their re-entry to the United States. It is important to note that international students who apply for visas in the U.S. for study abroad typically are more successful than students who apply in their home countries. International students are advised to plan carefully.

Review Approved Programs, meet with the Study Abroad Student Coordinators, discuss with faculty in fields of interest, attend sessions with visiting Program Representatives, and meet with the Director of Global Education.

During the academic year, students hoping to transfer credit back to Bryn Mawr can only study at a program that has been reviewed and approved by the Study Abroad Committee. This restriction does not apply to summer study abroad.

Visit Policies for financial aid information; visit Scholarships for resources.

It is important to put together a budget for your program abroad. There are multiple resources you can use:

Financial Aid: Be sure you understand your financial aid package and how it applies to your program expenses.

Student Peers: Talk to Study Abroad Student Coordinators and other students who have studied abroad in the country you are planning to visit. 

Online: Visit Numbeo, a collaborative online database which enables users to share and compare information about the cost of living between countries and cities.

Visit Financial Matters for more information.

All students are required to have medical, dental, and mental health coverage that is acceptable in the study abroad country throughout the duration of their stay abroad. Contact your chosen program for requirements.

When alone in another country, you need to be prepared for any crisis, whether it is an illness, accident, violent crime, terrorist attack, natural disaster, or political unrest. In case of an emergency, you should:

  1. Follow all travel advisory and safety precautions provided by your program.
  2. Follow any instructions you receive from the on-site program director or relevant university staff.  If they are not aware of the emergency, contact the on-site program director or relevant university staff immediately.
  3. Access wellness resources that are available to you at your program.
  4. Notify the Deans Office at 610-526-5375 or deansoffice@brynmawr.edu. If the emergency happens outside normal business hours, call BMC Campus Safety at 610-529-7911.
  5. Additional Resources at Bryn Mawr: Sexual Assault and other forms of harassment: titleix_coordinator@brynmawr.edu ; Health and Wellness Center/Counseling: During business hours call, 610-526-7360. After business hours 610-526-7778

Contact Us

Study Abroad

Tracy Weber
Director of Global Education
Undergraduate Dean's Office
Eugenia Chase Guild Hall, Lower Level
Phone: 610-526-7352
Fax: 610-526-7560
Office Hours:
9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday

For Bryn Mawr Study Abroad Students:
Click here to see my availability and schedule an advising appointment.

10 a.m.-12 p.m. (Nisha)
3-5 p.m. (Holly)
3-5 p.m. (Holly)
10 a.m.-12 p.m. (Nisha)