A successful Senior Thesis defense (left); the end of an advanced seminar in Italian about 19th century politics and poetry.
Top left: The end of semester Karaoke party. Bottom left: “Colazione in Giardino” event. Right: the “Rome as Palimpsests” advanced seminar.
Italian majors ready to start a seminar discussion entirely in Italian.
A seminar group in the Special Collections room of Canaday Library, interacting with curator Carrie Robbins and their Italian professor.
From left: a group photo during an outdoors event at the College; students posing at the Rodin Museum during a field-trip.
Students play an active role in the Department of Italian and Italian Studies by serving as "major reps" and participating in the many scholarly and cultural activities sponsored by the Italian Club (le Italianiste di Bryn Mawr). Our alumnae have gone on to earn advanced graduate degrees from top institutions and to work in a variety of related fields.
The major representatives, commonly called “major reps,” are chosen each year by the Chair of the Transnational Italian Studies Department. These students, junior or senior year Italian majors, officially represent the majors to the department faculty and other students. They are available to talk with students informally about the Italian major and to serve as a resource for declared majors as they complete work in the major. Representatives may bring issues to the department on behalf of majors. They help organize department events including major teas in the fall and spring. On the occasion of a search for a faculty member or the case of a reappointment, tenure, or promotion of a faculty member of the department, the major representatives assist the department and the College in soliciting and evaluating student views about the candidates or the case.
2021-22 Major Representatives
- Ava Panetto '23
- Elise De Biasio '23
- Lake Sanchez '23
Click here to listen to podcast.
- Allegra Fletcher '12 shares her experience studying Italian and why she chose to major in Italian. Click here to view her video.
- Sofia Bella Vitale Gilles '13 reflects on her time as major of Italian. Click here to view her video.
- Hallie Novak '19 writes about the Italian and Italian Studies Department: click here to read "The Art of Eating Well at the Bryn Mawr Italian Department."
Click here to read Hallie Novak's blog "Exploring Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia, and everything in between."
- Click here to read the article "An end to Mediterranean standoff?" by Emilia Otte '18.
- Click here to view a video by Natalie Giovino '17.
- MJ Johnson'16 reflects on her time as minor in Italian.Click here to view video
- Cynthia Columbus '13 wins award for project. Click here to view to learn more.