All students registering for a Spanish class at Bryn Mawr College who have prior knowledge of the language must take the placement test by July 12. This is a 20-25 minute adaptive multiple-choice test of grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. Students are bound by the Bryn Mawr Honor Code and MAY NOT consult dictionaries or other materials during the online test. You may only take the placement test once.
Accessing the test:
- Click on the link below to register for the test.
- You will then receive an email with the password and link to the Spanish Placement Test.
- For the student ID, use your Bryn Mawr ID. If you do not have a Bryn Mawr ID, use your date of birth without dashes (e.g., 08201992).
- Select continue to begin the test. Refrain from using the "BACK" button at any time, as that will terminate the test.
- When you have finished the test, you will receive your score and the following placement recommendations:
|0-269||SPAN 001 (Beginning Spanish I)|
|270-370||SPAN 002 (Beginning Spanish II)|
|371-499||SPAN 101 (Intermediate Spanish I)|
|500-625 *||SPAN 102 (Intermediate Spanish II) or higher|
|626-849 *||SPAN 110 (Análisis cultural y grámatica) or 120 (Introducción al análisis literario) or higher (Note: these two courses do not need to be taken in sequence).|
|>849||200-level literature course|
Students who score between 500 and 849 points must submit a PDF or Word file of a 400-word essay from a previous Spanish class written in the last year. If you do not have a writing sample from a class, send one on a topic of your choosing.
*For placement into levels beyond 110 or 120, your writing sample should be one that analyzes literature. Submit your sample with the following form:
Unless otherwise notified, students placed into level 102 or higher must attend the Academic Fair. During this event, students will meet with a Spanish faculty member to discuss the most appropriate course for them based on language background, ability, and placement test results.
If you have questions about the placement process, contact Kaylea Berard at firstname.lastname@example.org.