- Congratulations to anthropology majors and minors of the Class of 2020! We are proud of you and all your hard work, including your perseverance through an especially challenging final semester.
- Congratulations to anthropology faculty Maja Šešelj and Casey Barrier for achieving tenure and promotion to associate professor.
- Professor Fioratta's book Global Nomads: An Ethnography of Migration, Islam, and Politics in West Africa was published in spring 2020 with Oxford University Press (click here to read more about the book).
New Course Highlights
- Global Economies: Work, Money, and Value in Everyday Life (ANTH 250) with Professor Yakein Abdelmagid. The central focus of this course is the question of value: What are the power dynamics shaping our perception of the value of human labor, capital, and the things we consume everyday?
- Professor Weidman taught a new Praxis course, ANTH B246: The Everyday Life of Language: Field Research in Linguistic Anthropology. Click here to read more about how students learned to collect and analyze linguistic anthropological data, and how they worked with a Philadelphia high school teacher to prepare a lesson plan for a "youth language project."
- Professors Pashigian and Barrier co-taught a new course, Methods in Anthropology and Social Science (ANTH 254). This course is designed for students interested in learning ethnographic methods, qualitative and quantitative social science methods, and how to learn from and write about quantitative and qualitative results. This semester, the course theme was “Privacy, Technology, and Surveillance.” The students investigated this theme through a variety of methods focusing on what privacy, technology and surveillance mean to college students and family.
- Professor Fioratta taught the new course, Anthropology of Food (ANTH 213). This course explores how what we eat is intimately connected with who we are, where we belong, and how we see the world. Students conduct ethnographic projects on- and off-campus to better understand food and eating in everyday life.