Bryn Mawr College partnered with Pearson Interactive, to envision, explore and test potential higher education applications for the Microsoft HoloLens. Pearson Education provided the College with a set of these augmented reality devices, and LITS and Pearson staff hosted demonstration events for faculty and staff, science courses, students participating in the Career and Civic Engagegement Center's STEM Intensives, Sudo Hoot, and Bryn Mawr Engineers and Makers. We are also jointly sponsored winter break and summer internships for undergraduates, where students got first-hand experience with developing and testing applications for a 3D, augmented reality environment. In the process, interns developed design thinking, project management, and collaborative communication skills, and gained experience working as part of a diverse development team distributed across continents.
Read our blog posts from students and staff on working with the HoloLenses:
- Hololenses are Here!
- HoloLens Applications: Telling Indigenous Stories with Virtual Reality
- Developing for the HoloLens: A Winter Intern's Perspective
- Can you spot the Great Hall in this Microsoft HoloLens video?
- Summer Interns 2017: Digital Competencies and More
- Creating an Augmented and Virtual Reality Course
The HoloLens Project in the News:
- Cathy Campo, "Making Music Education More Accessible Through Technology" Bryn Mawr College News, 2 March 2017.
- "Bryn Mawr College 'Winterns' Develop Educational App for Microsoft HoloLens" Pearson News, 28 February 2017.
- Laura Devaney, "Visionary: How 4 Institutions are Venturing into a New Mixed Reality," eCampus News, 22 November 2016
- Joshua Kim, "Why I'm Intrigued About Pearson's HoloLens Initiative: Augmented Reality and Non-Incremental Change in Higher Education," Inside Higher Ed, 20 November 2016.
- Andrew Koke and Anthony Guest-Scott, "How Virtual Reality Could Change the Way Students Experience Education," EdTech, 18 November 2016
- Matthew Scott, "HoloLens Bryn Mawr Project Off to Flying Start," LinkedIn, 15 November 2016.
- "Pearson Announces Mixed Reality Pilots Designed to Solve Real World Learning Challenges at Colleges and Universities" (press release), 26 October 2016.