Certification for Undergraduates

Undergraduates may earn a secondary teaching certificate while pursuing a major in an allied field. Students major in the subject area in which they seek certification, choosing courses that help them meet the state standards for teachers in their subject area and complete the  teacher certification track of the minor in education (see program requirements). In addition, students complete a number of general requirements for certification set by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.


Post-Baccalaureate Program for Bi-College Alumnae/i

Graduates of Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges may complete requirements for Pennsylvania certification to teach at the secondary level by enrolling in the Bryn Mawr/Haverford Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program. In general, students are able to complete the program in one academic year if they have previously majored in the subject they plan to teach. Certification is offered in the same majors as for undergraduates and requirements for certification are the same except where noted.

For additional information about the program, including application and eligibility requirements, see Post-Baccalaureate Education Program

4 + 1 Submatriculation Program with Penn GSE

Bryn Mawr College/Haverford College undergraduates may get started on their M.S.Ed. degree as well as the Pennsylvania teaching certificate in early elementary (grades PreK-4), middle level (grades 4-8), or secondary (grades 7-12) education by applying as an undergraduate to “submatriculate” into the University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Education’s 10-month, Urban Teaching Apprenticeship Program (UTAP).

For additional information about the program, see 4 +1 Submatriculation Program with Penn GSE.


Contact Us

Bryn Mawr/Haverford Education Program

Bryn Mawr College
101 N. Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-2899
Phone: 610-526-5010

Haverford College
Founders 028
370 Lancaster Avenue
Haverford, PA 19041-1392