Department Events and News
- German and Math alumna Anna Kyle ('20) publishes essay "The Passive White Woman: Frieda von Bülow's Construct of Imperial Feminism in her Colonial Novel Tropenkoller (1896)" in The Macksey Journal.
- German major Stephanie Strevey (’21)
- Stephanie has received the Hester Ann Corner Senior Thesis Award in 2021 for her thesis: „Dämonen“-diagnose: Behinderung, Sexismus und Antisemitismus in der mittelalterlichen Monster-Mythologie Nordeuropas.
- Stephany has received the Berle Memorial Prize in German Literature.
- Stephanie has accepted the offer to join the Ph.D. Program in German Studies at Georgetown University.
German Major Kirsten Bernhardt ('21)
- Kirsten was the recipient of the Hester Ann Corner Prize in 2020 for her essay on Arthur Schnitzler's Fräulein Else: "Hysterie und Sexualität: die Rolle der Tochter und die Fragmentierung der weiblichen Identität."
- Kirsten will be working as a language teacher abroad before pursuing a Master's degree in Korean Art History.
Naomi Faber (‘24) has received the Lattimore Poetry Prize in 2021 for translating the poem “Trostlied im Konjunktiv” by Erich Kästner” into English.
German major Hannah Appelhans (‘22) has received the Hanna Holborn Grey Research Fellowship for the summer and will explore cultural influences on translations of Horace’s Odes (in Latin) into English and German. She also received the German Society of Pennsylvania’s Scholarship Award for her senior year.
German major Emily Shein (‘22) will be working as an archival research intern at Holocaust Museum LA. Stephany has received the Berle Memorial Prize in German Literature.