LinkedIn provides access to a powerful network of Bryn Mawr College alumnae/i.
Step one, create a LinkedIn profile. No picture? Look for events offered by the Career & Civic Engagement Center where you can have a professional head shot taken for you. Learn what makes a good profile by exploring the resources below:
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Profile in 5 Minutes
- 21 Easy Steps to Craft the Perfect LinkedIn Profile
- Your Ultimate Guide to LinkedIn Headlines (w/ 15+ examples)
- LinkedIn Described in Less than Two Minutes
This group is a place for current and past Mawrters to come together to connect each other, learn from each other, and share wisdom, information and experiences.
Benefits to Students and Alumnae/i
- Conversations in the group are only visible to those in the group.
- Group membership is verified by Bryn Mawr College.
- Individuals have unique strategies for managing their personal LinkedIn profiles; joining the group allows students and alumnae/i to send messages without needing to link as a 1st degree connection.
- LinkedIn, by default, does not allow users to send messages to people they don’t know. Joining a group provides members the opportunity to send unlimited, free 1:1 messages to group members. Members have the flexibility to control which messages they accept or privately decline.
- Students and alumnae/i can ask questions, start discussions, or use the job tab to post opportunities, creating an online learning community.
Goals and Expectations for Students and Alumnae/i
- The Bryn Mawr College Alumnae/i & Students LinkedIn Group is a learning community where students can start to practice their networking skills.
- The Career & Civic Engagement Center provides guidelines and teaches students the fundamentals of networking. Expectations are that members of the group will have professional interactions that are held to high ethical standards, including, but not limited to honesty and integrity, communicating and presenting oneself in a professional manner, and abiding by these networking policies (for current students): “I will stay informed about professional networking by reading and following Career & Civic Engagement’s networking guidelines and/or scheduling an appointment with a Career & Civic Engagement staff member through Handshake."
- The Career & Civic Engagement Center wants to reward those who present themselves well, but hopes to take advantage of teachable moments, too. Please forward any feedback about positive or negative interactions to email@example.com; we will do our best to follow up.
Use the Bryn Mawr College Alumni Tool on LinkedIn to search more than 18,000 Bryn Mawr Alumnae/i. Searches can be filtered by location, place of work, type of work, area of study, skills, or connections.