What to Do if You are Injured at Work

Workers' Compensation Coverage

Work-related injuries and illnesses are covered by workers’ compensation insurance. You must follow the steps below to qualify for medical and lost wage coverage. Please contact Human Resources (HR) at 610-526-5261 if you have any questions.

Serious Injury or Illness 

If you sustain a fracture, cut that may need stitches, chest pain, concussion, sprain that prevents walking, or eye injury, call Public Safety at extension 7911 for emergency treatment and transport. Employees should not drive themselves or each other to the emergency room.

Non-Emergency Injury or Illness

For muscle strain, non-healing wound, sprain, bruise, repetitive motion injury, or persistent soreness, notify your supervisor as soon as possible. Contact Human Resources at x5261 (or page via Public Safety) to arrange an appointment with a health care provider listed on the College’s Panel of Designated Workers’ Compensation Medical Care Providers. Employees can often be seen by a panel member the same day.

When in doubt or if care is required outside of regular business hours, go to the nearest emergency room.

TransportationUBER Business has been created for student safe emergency travel and now for employee injuries sustained at Bryn Mawr. Please call Campus Safety Communications at 610-526-7911 to authorize the transport to Urgent Care.

Summary of Rights and Responsibilities

(Briefly summarized. Contact ehs@brynmawr.edu for further details.)

  • HR will coordinate follow-up care as needed through a designated panel provider, chosen by the employee from the list. If recovery lasts longer than 90 days, employees may transfer care to a licensed medical care provider of their choice.
  • After treatment, as determined by the care provider, the employee may be:
    • Released to full duty.
    • Required to stay home for some period of days.
    • Released to return to work with restrictions. 
  • Departments must attempt to accommodate temporary work restrictions. When restrictions cannot be accommodated within the department, temporary assignment to work elsewhere on campus will be arranged if possible.
  • Employees are permitted to attend work-related medical appointments on work time. Hours should be recorded as “WC” on time cards.
  • Employees who are out of work more than seven (7) calendar days are entitled to workers compensation disability payments during their absence when authorized by the treating physician. Compensation payments will be arranged by HR and paid by the College’s workers compensation insurance company.

Injury Report

Complete and submit the Report of Work-Related Injury or Illness form as soon as possible.

Visitor Injuries

Contact Campus Safety (610-526-7911 or ext. 7911) to report all visitor injuries.


Contact Us

Environmental Health and Safety

  • For Covid-related questions, please contact Kari Fazio at 610-526-5641 or kfazio@brynmawr.edu.
  • For other Environmental Health and Safety matters, please contact Julia McLaughlin at 610-526-5166 or ehs@brynmawr.edu.
  • If the matter can be addressed by Facilities, you can reach them at 610-526-7930 or facilities@brynmawr.edu.
  • For workplace injuries, please contact Human Resources at 610-526-5261.