Health-Related Programs on Campus and Beyond
The Health Professions Advising Office sponsors seminars, information sessions, and workshops for prehealth students. We also work collaboratively with the Dean’s Office and the Career and Civic Engagement Center to sponsor programming and to support other efforts to help students find volunteer opportunities, jobs, and internships and to engage with alumni. HPAO co-sponsors programming with the health professions advising offices at Haverford College. In addition, HPAO supports student-led Health Interest Programming to consider specific areas of health care.
Selected list of 2015-2018 programs sponsored by the Health Professions Advising Office:
- Dentistry and Dental Education with Dr. Olivia Sheridan, Assistant Dean for Admissions, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. Dr. Sheridan is an alumna of Bryn Mawr’s Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program.
- Master of Public Health panel with representatives from Columbia, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Yale University Schools of Public Health. Info session about Boston University School of Public Health.
- Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner event with alums of Bryn Mawr and Haverford and administrators of Drexel University’s programs in these disciplines.
- Women in STEM: Medical Research with Andrea Cox, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Medical Scientist Training at Johns Hopkins, Donna Mildvan '63, M.D., Professor at Icahn Mount Sinai, and Ashton Shaffer ’11, M.D./Ph.D. student at Johns Hopkins.
- Financing health professions school: Medical School admissions director presentation about the costs of applications and of attendance. Information about loan programs government-sponsored service obligation scholarship programs with representatives from the National Health Service Corps and the U.S military.