Access and Diversity
Students of all abilities are encouraged to apply to study abroad. Although the Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply outside the borders of the United States, the College is committed to assisting you in the process of inquiring about reasonable accommodations overseas. Students who receive accommodations at Bryn Mawr and who are interested in studying abroad are encouraged to reach out to the Director of Global Education and/or to the Director of Access Services as soon as possible to discuss questions and/or concerns. Our offices are committed to working closely together to support you in the process of studying abroad.
- Click here to visit Bryn Mawr Access Services.
- Click here to visit Mobility International USA (MIUSA): a massive resource with over 300 articles studying abroad. Includes learning disabilities, mental health, chronic illness as well as physical mobility concerns.
Issues of Diversity When Studying Abroad
There are many websites that provide in-depth guidance around issues of diversity while studying abroad, useful for all students. Here are a few:
To Explore Issues of Diversity
- Diversity Abroad: brief articles on almost every aspects of identity, including race, socioeconomic background, religion, age, and more!
- AllAbroad.us Diversity Site
- IES Student Diversity and Access Site: although focused on IES programs, there are many items that are interesting and useful for students on any program
- Unpacked: A Study Abroad Guide for Students Like Me: From racial identity to allergy issues, this series of student perspectives covers a lot of territory.
For LGBTQIA* Students
- Brandeis University: Transgender and Non-Binary Students Abroad: very specific and frank tips and information
- Go Abroad Guide for LGBTQIA* students and allies
- 2018 NPR story about LGBTQIA* issues in study abroad
- UC Davis interactive map of 20 countries' laws, support organizations, etc
Finding Places for Worship
Director of Global Education
Undergraduate Dean's Office
Eugenia Chase Guild Hall, Lower Level
9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
Study Abroad Student Coordinator (SASC) Office Hours:
Monday | 1-2:30 p.m. Kayla Thompson
Monday | 3-5 p.m. Lyla Poonawala
Tuesday | 1-4 p.m. Kayla Thompson
Wednesday | 2:30-5 p.m. Lyla Poonawala
For Bryn Mawr Study Abroad Students:
Click here to see my availability and schedule an advising appointment.