St. Andrew's Foundation Scholarship
Five scholarships are awarded each year to sophomores from Philadelphia-area colleges and universities planning a full year of study in Scotland.
- Preliminary: N/A
- Internal: Jan. 20, 2023
- External: early March 2023
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen, enrolled in a full-time course of study, and in the top quarter of your class. You must also be willing to spend a full academic year in a Scottish university. (Students who receive this scholarship are automatically exempt from Bryn Mawr's one-semester limitation.) Potentially eligible students will be notified at the beginning of fall semester.
Adviser: Eleanor (Ellie) Stanford, Fellowship Adviser.
Selection criteria: The St. Andrew's Society looks for the following qualities in selecting recipients:
- A high level of enthusiasm
- Respect for and interest in other views and cultures
- Involvement in the community
- A genuine and serious interest in the intellectual and cultural benefits of a year abroad in Scotland
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to adapt to changing/new situations
- Financial need
Application procedure: Students interested in being nominated should submit the online internal application to the Dean's Office.
We will choose a nominee very soon after the internal deadline. Final application is due to the Dean’s Office a few days in advance of the external deadline. You will have the opportunity to revise your essay. All nominees are expected to attend a luncheon and interview with the St. Andrew’s Society in Philadelphia in mid-March