Please see below for summer programs sponsored by Bryn Mawr College. Some include funding sources for Bryn Mawr students to help cover the costs associated with specific summer programs.
Arabic Language and Interdisciplinary Learning Program in Jordan: Sijal Institute
Students who are interested in beginning or deepening their study of Arabic language and culture, linking it with their interest in Middle Eastern Archaeology, and/or embedding their language study within a 5-week externship, should consider applying for the Arabic Language and Interdisciplinary Learning Program. Opportunities include:
- Session I: 5 weeks of Arabic language learning (beginner through advanced), and a content course (in English) on the Archaeology of Jordan and the Middle East.
- Session II: a second 5 weeks of Arabic language learning and a content course on either Cooking around the Arab World, The History of Arabic Music, The Syrian Crisis, Contemporary Arabic Literature and Poetry, the Palestinian Revolution, or Colloquial Jordanian Arabic through the Media.
- Externship: 5 weeks working with a local organization in Jordan accompanied by continued Arabic language learning.
- Questions? Please contact Alice Lesnick (email@example.com) or the Global Bryn Mawr office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Externship Application (through CPGC): February 12, 2023
- Externship Application (through the Center):
- Application to Sijal: March 10, 203
- Global Bryn Mawr Funding Application: March 31, 2023
- Confirmation of program attendance and enrollment deposit due: May 25, 2023
- First Session orientation and tuition due: June 3, 2023
- Last day to withdrawal for a partial refund: June 11, 2023
Haverford Innovation Program: Incubator Summer 2023 - This Summer, Get Paid to Work for Yourself!
The Haverford Innovations Program (HIP) works to catalyze the creative and strategic thinking of students around a problem, need, or question, with the goal of fostering new solutions and opportunities through creative entrepreneurial learning projects.
An 8-week program, the Innovation Incubator will support that team’s project development, with the goal of significantly advancing that concept’s readiness and marketability. Such projects are designed and defined broadly, and the end result may take the form of a marketable product, a creative work for public release, an organization or company, or another form of social innovation. Along with a work stipend, teams receive a job materials budget to prototype and test their concept.
The team will commit to working on their project for the full 8-weeks. Students are not expected to have their product ready to launch by the end of this period, but they are expected to show demonstrable and measurable progress— progress that will be defined at the program outset and conveyed in final presentations.
You may view and print a preview of the application including an overview of the program, deadlines, past teams, and FAQs.
The application can be found at: hav.to/incubator
Questions? Contact Shayna Nickel at email@example.com.
- January 2023: Applications Open
- Sunday, Feb 19, 2023: Application Closes @ 11:59 p.m. ET
- Monday, Feb 20—Wednesday, Feb 22, 2023: Committee Review
- Thursday, Feb 23, 2023: Shortlisted Teams Notified & QA with Team & Committee scheduled
- Thursday, March 2, 2023: QA & Team Selection by Committee
- Friday, March 3, 2023: Teams Notified of Decision
- Thursday, March 16, 2023: Deadline for Team to Accept Fellowship
- Thursday, March 30, 2023: Contracts Signed
Global Bryn Mawr Experiences
Bryn Mawr offers an exceptionally wide range of global experiences, both overseas and within the local community. Visit the Global Bryn Mawr Website to learn about the variety of experiences available to Bryn Mawr students. Questions? Please contact Alice Lesnick (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Global Bryn Mawr office (email@example.com) for more information.
Russian Language Institute
The Russian Language Institute will offer second-, third-, and fourth-year Russian in an online/remote learning format. Beginning level Russian courses will not be offered in Summer 2021. The program dates will be June 9 to August 4. The program will no longer be considered an in-country immersion program, due to the remote format, but it will retain some of the extra-curricular activities. Program participants will have daily classes, will attend extracurricular activities, and will have individual sessions with tutors, all via Zoom. All classes, extracurricular activities, and tutoring sessions will be synchronous. Questions can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rare Book Scholarship, The Rare Book School
The Rare Book School provides continuing-education opportunities for students from all disciplines and skill levels to study the history of written, printed, and digital materials with leading scholars and professionals in the field. This scholarship supports at least one student interested in attending a one-week summer course offered by the Rare Book School. Questions? Contact Katie Krimmel at email@example.com.
ACES and PASS Programs
Early Assurance Med School Opportunities for Bryn Mawr Sophomores (Class of 2025) from Backgrounds Underrepresented in Medicine: Bryn Mawr College has signed agreements with two medical schools for summer opportunities that include the possibility of early assurance acceptance to medical school. These are intended for students who are seriously interested in attending these specific medical schools. Interested students should contact Dr. Gail Glicksman, Assistant Dean for Health Professions Advising, at the Health Professions Advising Office (HPAO) – firstname.lastname@example.org. Dr. Glicksman would be eager to speak with any students who are potentially interested in these programs. There are many programs for students from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine. Program criteria and emphases vary. Even if these two specific programs would not be of the best fit, there may be many other excellent opportunities that we could explore.
The Career & Civic Engagement Center