Haverford, Swarthmore, and Penn

Haverford and Swarthmore

Through Bi-Co cooperation, virtually all undergraduate courses and all major programs at Bryn Mawr College and Haverford College are open to students from both schools. Students from each school may major at the other school. Students use BiONiC to preregister for all Bi-Co courses.   

Through Tri-Co cooperation, students may also enroll in many courses offered at Swarthmore College.  The following rules apply:

  • The student must be in good academic standing (i.e., not on warning or probation).
  • Most Honors Seminars will not be available to Bryn Mawr students. 
  • Registration is on a space-available basis.
  • Students may not major at Swarthmore.

Step-by-step registration instructions are available on the Registrar's site.


Through the Quaker Consortium, Bryn Mawr students may register for up to two courses a semester at the University of Pennsylvania. The following rules apply:

  • The student must be in good academic standing (i.e., not on warning or probation).
  • The course must not duplicate a course taught at Bryn Mawr or Haverford.
  • The course must be primarily aimed at undergraduates.
  • Registration is on a space-available basis. 
  • A student may take up to four total courses taught outside the College of Arts and  Sciences (e.g., at Wharton or Fels). This option becomes available in the sophomore year, during which one such course may be taken. In order to count towards a student’s degree, these courses can only be taken during the fall or spring semesters.   

Please note that Penn has a different academic calendar than the one used in the Tri-Co. Students are responsible for knowing and abiding by all Penn deadlines. Step-by-step registration instructions are available on the registrar’s site.

All students living on campus (at Bryn Mawr or at Haverford) are eligible for reimbursement towards travel expenses for classes taken at Penn. After the end of the third week of classes, Financial Aid will send all students enrolled in Penn courses a copy of the University of Pennsylvania Travel Grant Application. The student must complete and return the application to the second floor of the Benham Gateway Building.

Financial Aid determines the amount of the travel grant based upon the number of required trips to Philadelphia and whether or not the student is a financial aid recipient. In compliance with College policy, students who are not financial aid recipients receive less. Awards reflect costs of travel on the Norristown High Speed Line, unless it is necessary to travel after 5 p.m. during the Fall semester or after 6 p.m. in the Spring. If students travel during these later hours, they will be reimbursed at the rate of the Regional Rail.