Graduate Policies

Policies in Detail

Policies established by the College relating to financial aid eligibility for graduate students are listed below.

If you have additional questions about any of the following information, please feel free to contact the office directly to speak with a counselor.

Students must report outside assistance to the Office of Financial Aid. This includes employer tuition benefits. These resources must be included when eligibility for financial aid is determined and evaluated.

Eligibility for grant assistance is determined by GSSWSR Admissions. You must reapply for the Social Work Grant and loan assistance each academic year. If awarded a Social Work Grant, Master of Social Service students may receive a grant for a maximum of 18 billing units. Ph.D. students may receive grant for required coursework tuition only. Grant funding is not provided for transfer credit or courses that are waived. Generally, grant funds are not awarded for repeat courses.

Financial aid is credited to the student’s account by term. Bryn Mawr Grants and Scholarships will be credited prior to billing. Federal loans are scheduled for disbursement on the first day of classes for each term. Students must accept, reduce, or decline their loans as well as complete the necessary requirements. Financial aid applications must be completed before funds can be disbursed to the student account.

The Department of Education may send notification that the student’s FAFSA was selected for verification by the federal processor. Verification confirms the accuracy of the information submitted on the FAFSA. The College is required to complete verification for selected students and to resolve any conflicting information. To comply with these regulations, follow the instructions on the verification worksheet provided by the College Board/IDOC. Be sure the worksheet contains all required signatures before returning the form to the Office of Financial Aid.

IRS Data Retrieval: The Office of Financial Aid encourages students to complete their FAFSA online at, using IRS Data Retrieval; an easier, faster way to enter federal income tax information on the FAFSA. The process allows electronically submitted tax information to complete specific elements of the FAFSA, simplifying the verification process. Data successfully transferred through the IRS Data Retrieval tool cannot be modified. Students and parents may not be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:

  • Tax filing status is “married filing separately”
  • Tax status is “head of household”
  • Filed a foreign tax return
  • Filed paper taxes within the last 8 weeks

Until verification is complete, Bryn Mawr cannot credit a federal grant or loan to the student’s account; the student cannot be employed under the Federal Work- Study Program; and the Office of Financial Aid will not certify a Federal Direct Loan application.

Withdrawing from a class or classes may affect the amount of financial aid you are entitled to receive. Financial aid awards are based on the cost and number of units in which you are enrolled per semester, so a change to your enrollment could change your financial aid award. If you intend to completely withdraw, you must submit written notice to your Dean.

Bryn Mawr’s refund policy will be applied if you receive institutional funds and withdraw completely from your courses. This policy requires the Office of Financial Aid to determine if a portion of your institutional funds should be returned to the awarding program. College fees are non-refundable.

Federal financial aid refund and repayment policies will be applied if you receive federal financial aid funds and withdraw completely from your classes. These federal policies require the Office of Financial Aid to determine if a portion of your financial aid must be returned and/or repaid to the Title IV programs. Per federal regulations, the Return of Title IV Funds Policy will be applied to all students who receive federal financial aid funds and completely withdraw from classes at or before the 60% point of the semester. Students must “earn” the financial aid that is received. The amount of aid earned is determined by the length of time you are enrolled. If you withdraw during the 60% period, you should expect that a portion of your financial aid funds will need to be returned. If you withdraw after the 60% point of the semester, you will have earned 100% of your financial aid funds. If a refund or repayment is required, federal funds will be returned to the programs in the following order: Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Direct PLUS, other Title IV programs.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the successful completion of degree requirements. Progress toward the degree is required by Bryn Mawr as well as by the federal government for any student receiving federal financial aid. The Deans of the respective graduate programs measure SAP. Bryn Mawr’s standards and requirements are defined on their respective pages:

Tuition and fee increases are customary and are used in determining the renewal award amounts. Tuition and fees for the next year are typically released in late Spring by the Board of Trustees.

A federal over-award occurs when a student’s awards exceed their cost of attendance. If a federal over-award occurs, the federal awards will be reduced first.

Financial aid awards are based on the cost and number of units in which you are enrolled per semester. A change to your enrollment could change your financial aid.

Information about aggregate limits for the Federal Unsubsidized Loan and the Graduate PLUS Loan can be found online.

International students are not eligible for Federal Loan funds. However, some bank or credit unions lend to international students. Interested students may borrow from the lender of their choice.

Incoming student requests for reconsideration for social work grant eligibility are sent to Graduate Admissions. Returning student requests for reconsideration are submitted to the Office of Financial Aid. These requests should be submitted in writing along with supporting documentation.

Bryn Mawr College requires all students to be covered by health insurance. The College does provide a student health insurance plan.

All international students are required to be enrolled in the College's International Student Insurance plan.

Please visit the Office of Student Accounts for more information.

Students have the right to know:

  • The Office of Financial Aid’s location, hours, and counseling procedures.
  • The financial aid programs available at Bryn Mawr College. 
  • The application procedures and deadlines.
  • The criteria for selecting financial aid recipients.
  • The criteria for determining need.
  • The method for determining the amounts and types of aid awarded.
  • The costs that were considered in determining eligibility for aid.
  • The method and timing of financial aid payments.
  • The basis for determining satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid and what happens when progress is not made.
  • The portion of aid that must be repaid, the portion that is grant, and the portion that must be earned through employment.
  • If offered a Federal Work-Study award, the nature of the job, the required number of work hours, job duties, the pay, and the method and timing of payments.

Financial aid applications are confidential. Information concerning financial aid applicants will be released only to agencies that require the information for scholarship consideration and only when authorized by the student and family.

Students are responsible for:

  • Completing all application forms accurately and submitting them on time to the appropriate location.
  • Providing all documentation, verification, corrections, and/or other scholarship information requested by the Office of Financial Aid or other scholarship agencies.
  • Reporting any changes in enrollment and housing to the Office of Financial Aid.
  • Reading and understanding all forms that are distributed and retaining student copies.
  • Performing the work that is agreed upon in accepting a work-study position.
  • Reporting name and address changes directly to the Registrar and lenders of all education loans that have been received.
  • When filing U.S. taxes, include as taxable income all grant aid that exceeds the cost of tuition, fees, books, and supplies.

The Selective Service System (SSS) is a government agency that maintains information on those potentially subject to military conscription, commonly known as the draft. Most male U.S. citizens and male immigrant non-citizens ages of 18-25 are required by law to have registered within 30 days of their 18th birthdays. Any man required to register with Selective Service must have done so to receive federal student aid. Male students may register by answering the question on the FAFSA; online at the Selective Service website; or by filling out a form available at the post office. Students who cannot confirm registration must either register or provide proof of exemption.

Students who have questions about Selective Service registration may contact the Selective Service at 1-847-688-6888 or at