Types of Aid

Federal Aid

Bryn Mawr College participates in the Direct Loan Program. When you borrow a federal loan while attending Bryn Mawr, you are borrowing directly from the Department of Education (DOE). Loans made through this program include the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, Direct PLUS, and Direct Consolidated Loans. For current interest rates and origination fee information click here.

Borrower-Based Loans (BB) are awarded to eligible students who start the academic year in the Summer. Two terms represent an annual loan period; therefore, a BB loan includes the Summer and Fall terms as one loan period, with the Spring term starting a new loan period. Loans borrowed in the Spring BB loan period are included in the following Summer term when loan eligibility is being determined.

The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct PLUS Loans to eligible graduate or professional students through completion of the FAFSA. To receive a Graduate PLUS Loan you must be a graduate or professional student enrolled at least half-time, not have an adverse credit history and meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student aid. During any period when you’re not required to make payments, interest will accrue on your loan. Repayment does not begin until six months after graduation, leaving school or dropping below half-time enrollment.

All Graduate PLUS Loan borrowers must apply online, and complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling at www.studentaid.gov by using the FSA ID. Students must accept, reduce or decline their loans online. Financial aid is credited to the student’s account in two equal disbursements (fall and spring). Federal funds are scheduled for disbursement on the first day of classes for each term. Students can monitor their federal grant and student loan usage through the Federal National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

More information about different types of repayment plans and aggregate limits can be found here. Students can also identify who their loan servicer is by visiting NSLDS.

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. It is a supplement to the “Post GI Bill Benefit in Pennsylvania” also known as Chapter #33 and expands veterans’ higher-education benefits, together paying the majority, if not all, of tuition and fees for participating students. Students applying to Bryn Mawr may also be eligible for additional aid beyond the VA benefit.

Chapter 31 VA recipients who receive funding to cover tuition, should know that any tuition awards offered by Bryn Mawr will be rescinded/replaced upon notification of a VA benefit.

All VA benefits, including housing allowances and book stipends sent directly to the student will be considered. Eligible students admitted to degree programs in Bryn Mawr’s undergraduate college will be able to take advantage of this benefit pending College approval. For more information about yellow ribbon visit the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Bryn Mawr College will need to verify your eligibility for the program before any funds can be awarded. Bryn Mawr funds specified for tuition, will be rescinded if VA awards cover the tuition costs. Please contact the Office of the Registrar and be prepared to submit your Certificate of Eligibility. Once these documents have been received the Registrar will verify your eligibility and notify the Office of Financial Aid.

Institutional Aid

Eligibility for grant assistance is determined by GSSWSR Admissions. These grants are for tuition only, and will be adjusted or replaced upon receipt of other aid received to cover tuition. You must reapply for the Social Work Grant and loan assistance each academic year. If awarded a Social Work Grant, Master of Social Service students may receive a grant for a maximum of 18 billing units. Ph.D. students may receive grant for required coursework only. Grant funding is not provided for transfer credit or courses that are waived. Generally, grant funds are not awarded for repeat courses.

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) offers the following forms of assistance as part of the overall financial aid award: fellowships, grants, research assistantships, teaching assistantships, graduate assistantships, tuition awards, and partial tuition awards (awards that offset all or some tuition charges), and summer stipends. If you are interested in GSAS assistance you can complete the application on the GSAS Admissions page.

State/Outside Assistance

Private loans are non-federal education loans offered by a lender such as a bank or credit union. Students should consider applying for a private loan only after exhausting all other possible sources of funds. Private loans often have variable interest rates, require a credit check, and may have less attractive repayment plans than federal loans. Many lenders require a creditworthy co-signer. In general, students may borrow up to the cost of education minus all other financial aid received. Students who choose to borrow a private loan must select a lender of their choice and complete the lender’s application process. Bryn Mawr encourages careful borrowing by maximizing federal funding, considering interest rates offered and limiting the amount borrowed.

In your research for private alternative loans, you can use ELMSelect to compare the different lenders based on their options, benefits, and services and then apply directly online. We have created an impartial list of private loan products that our students have used in the past. They are listed on the ELMSelect website in random order. Bryn Mawr College students are not required to use the lenders on these lists.

You will find information about lenders, including interest rates and terms on ELMSelect. Please note the order of lenders is randomized each time you access the site. You can sort by low APR, alphabetically, fixed interest rates, and variable interest rates. You can compare up to 4 lenders at a time.

Once you have selected a lender you would like to use, you can apply for a loan through ELMSelect. After the lender has processed your application, it will send your application to Bryn Mawr for certification to confirm you are a student at Bryn Mawr, the number of courses enrolled, costs, etc. Our office will complete the certification request and send it back to the lender. The lender will then release the funds to the school for deposit to your student account.

The Career and Civic Engagement Center maintains part-time and temporary job postings from the local community.