Students may receive credit for honor scores on Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, A-Levels, and other exams.
FOR CLASS OF 2024 & 2025 ADMITTED STUDENTS: The College Board and IBO have committed to releasing AP and IB scores even though they will be arriving at the scores in a different manner than usual due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Bryn Mawr will accept those scores using our standard matrix. Our placement test policies may be adjusted.
A maximum of eight units from test and transfer credit may be used towards your degree (with the exception of transfer students who can use a maximum of 16).
Students may count this credit towards the 32 units needed to graduate, but not towards general education requirements. Credits will be posted to the student's transcript as needed.
|AP Exam||Minimum Score||Units Awarded**|
|2-D Art and Design||5||1 unit|
|3-D Art and Design||5||1 unit|
|Art History||5||2 units|
|Art: Studio||5||1 unit|
|Biology 1||4||2 units|
|Calculus AB 2||4||1 unit|
|Calculus BC 2||4||2 units|
|Calculus BC: AB Subscore 2||4||1 unit|
|Chinese Language and Culture||5||1 unit|
|Comparative Government and Politics||5||1 unit|
|Computer Science A||-||none|
|Computer Science AB||4||1 unit|
|Computer Science Principles||-||none|
|English Language and Composition 4||5||2 units|
|English Literature and Composition 4||5||2 units|
|Environmental Science||5||1 unit|
|European History||5||2 units|
|French Language and Culture||5||1 unit|
|French Literature||5||1 unit|
|German Language and Culture||4||1 unit|
|Human Geography||5||1 unit|
|Italian Language and Culture||-||none|
|Japanese Language and Culture||5||1 unit|
|Latin: Literature||4||1 unit|
|Macroeconomics 3||4||1 unit|
|Microeconomics 3||4||1 unit|
|Music Theory||5||1 unit|
|Physics 1||4||1 unit|
|Physics 2||4||1 unit|
|Physics B 5||4||2 units|
|Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism 7||4||1 unit|
|Physics C: Mechanics 6||4||1 unit|
|Spanish Language and Culture||5||1 unit|
|Spanish Literature and Culture||5||1 unit|
|United States Government and Politics||5||1 unit|
|United States History||5||2 units|
|World History: Modern||5||2 units|
1. AP Biology: A student may choose to opt out of one semester of the BIOL B110-B111 sequence if they earned a 5 on AP Biology exams. The decision about which semester to opt out of should be in made in consultation with the Biology faculty and the pre-medical adviser, if appropriate.
2. AP Calculus: Students may receive 2 units for a score of 4 or 5 on the Calculus BC test, or 1 unit for a for a score of 4 or 5 on the Calculus AB test, or 1 unit for a for a score of 4 or 5 on the Calculus AB Subscore. The maximum number of units received for all Calculus AP tests is 2 units.
3. AP Economics: The Economic Department will waive the ECON B105 prerequisite for students who score a 5 on both the Microeconomics and Macroeconomics AP exams or a 6 or 7 on the Economics Higher level Exam of the International Baccalaureate. The waiver does not count as course credit toward the major or minor; majors and minors receiving advanced placement must still take the total required courses. Students qualifying for advanced placement should see the department chair to obtain approval for the waiver and for advice on planning their course work in economics.
6. AP Physics C: Mechanics: This AP Exam exempts a student from PHYS B101. They may not take this course. A student may take PHYS B121-B122 and not lose credit for the AP Exam. Students may not ordinarily place out of PHYS B121-B122.
7. AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism: This AP Exam exempts a student from PHYS 102. They may not take this course. A student may take PHYS B121-B122 and not lose credit for the AP Exam. Students may not ordinarily place out of PHYS B121-B122.
Bryn Mawr awards students up to eight (8) academic units for qualifying scores on the International Baccalaureate (IB) test:
- 2 units of credit per honors score on a higher-level exam (see below)
- 2 units of credit for the IB diploma if either of the following conditions are met:
- An overall score of 35 or higher, OR
- An overall score of 30-34 AND 3 Honors Scores on Higher Level exams.
Honors Level IB Scores
|All other liberal arts subjects#||5|
Note: Bryn Mawr does not give credit for standard level exams.
# The following exams are currently under review and currently do not receive credit: Business and Management, Information Technology in a Global Society, and Design Technology.
Students should request that an official score report be sent to Bryn Mawr prior to taking the examinations. The IBO has published a website about how to request an IB Transcript: https://ibo.org/university-admission/support-students-transition-to-higher-education/requesting-and-sending-transcripts/. Bryn Mawr must receive an official score report from IBO in order to evaluate your test results.
For Advanced Exams only, each grade of A, B, C, is awarded 2 units of credit. The exception is for Economics, in which a student must earn an A or B on the exam.
Bryn Mawr does not give units of credit for Subsidiary Advanced Level exams.
Students should bring in or request that an official copy of their A-Level certificate be sent to Bryn Mawr College's Registrar's Office. Unofficial test results or preliminary test results will not be accepted. If you have lost your A-Level certificate, you can request a new one from:
General Test Notes:
Bryn Mawr College administers its own placement examinations in foreign languages and mathematics. Unlike the AP examinations, they do not carry unit credit.
*General education requirements including the Emily Balch Seminar, the Approaches to Inquiry, Quantitative, and Foreign Language requirements.
** One unit = 4 semester hours or 1 semester course