Payroll FAQs

Q: How do I sign up for or change direct deposit of my paycheck?
Please visit the Payroll Office or the Human Resources Office to complete our Direct Deposit Authorization Form. After submitting the direct deposit form, you may receive a check for the next pay cycle either because of when the form was received or because of your bank’s pre-notification process. If direct deposit does not start within three weeks of submitting the form, please contact the Payroll Office (back to top)

Q: A Bad Weather Day was declared while I was on vacation. How do I record that on my time sheet?
Once you have scheduled time off, it remains as such. You must still record a vacation day. (back to top)

Q: How do I submit hours from a previous pay period?
Submit a separate time sheet for the pay period for which you were not paid. Be sure to mark the correct pay period dates for the missing pay. (back to top)

Q: Why won’t my time sheet print on one page?
If your time sheet will not print on one page, make sure that you are using Office 2007 or a later version; that you have opted to enable macros; and that you use the print button located on the time sheet (do not use the File>Print option). For further assistance, please contact the Payroll Office. (back to top)

Q: I have more than one job, how do I know if I’ve been paid for both?
If you have multiple jobs at different rates, your paycheck will have a separate line with the total hours paid at each different rate. If you have multiple jobs with the same hourly rate, your paycheck will have one line for total hours paid. It is recommended that you keep a record of the hours that you submit. (back to top)

Q: Who do I contact about the leave balances on my paycheck?
Please contact Human Resources at x5261. (back to top)

Q: How do I know how many federal allowances or the marital status I am claiming? What should I claim? How do I change the withholding for my federal taxes?
The number of federal tax exemptions or marital status can be found in the upper right hand section of your printed or online pay stub. If you claim married but withhold at higher single rate, your status will be indicated as single. The IRS has a withholding calculator that can assist you with figuring out how many allowances to claim. The Payroll Office cannot advise you on how to complete your W-4 Form. To change your federal tax withholding, you need to complete a new W-4 Form and submit it to the Payroll Office. (back to top)

Q: When will I get my W-2 or other tax forms?
Forms W-2 and 1099 are postmarked by Jan. 31. Form 1042-S is postmarked by March 15. (back to top)

Q: How can I get a copy of my W-2 for a previous tax year?
You can obtain W-2s for previous tax years by using IRS Form 4506-T. The request is free of charge and may take up to 30 days. (back to top)

Q: What is the Local Services Tax (LST) on my paycheck? Why isn’t it reported on my W-2?
The Local Service Tax replaced the Lower Merion Emergency and Municipal Tax. This tax is deducted differently than before. For more information, please refer to the Lower Merion FAQ page. The LST is not an earned income tax and therefore is not reportable on the W-2.  Your last pay stub of the calendar year is proof that you had the deduction. (back to top)

Q: I live in New Jersey; do Pennsylvania taxes have to be deducted?
No, you do not have to have Pennsylvania taxes withheld if you reside in New Jersey. You can complete a New Jersey W-4 and an Employee's Nonwithholding Application Certificate (REV-419 EX) and remit them to the Payroll Office. Both forms must be submitted together. (back to top)

Q: Who do I contact if I move in or out of Philadelphia or change my address?
You should contact Human Resources to change your address. You will need to complete a Address Change Form and a Local Earned Income Tax Residency Certification Form. (back to top)

Finance Key Contacts